Retro Sound ZUMA-B Radio

steve k.

With my experience being rather limited, I don't have much credibility. But when it comes to audio I prefer older style stuff. Pre 1995 ect. My car came pre-wired with a bunch of old A/D/S components and a A/D/S P440 amp with a nice Sony C710 head-unit. I think there is something about the older stuff. It's real quality. Things were just made better. Even if it means you have to lug around a book full of CD's it is pretty awesome. I've been looking for a 70's or 80's Alpine tape deck for a while for the 02 too.. Now that would be bitchin'! My advice would be look at some older options that support MP3 if that's what you are looking for. Alpine has been integrating MP3 support in their units for years now.

Reason being for this is that car audio has changed a lot over the last thirty years. It used to be an enthusiast's game. Now most kids want loud systems in their Civic's and E36 sedans because it makes stuff rattle a lot... This means the market has changed. Kid's don't want to spend top dollar on high quality equipment so therefor the companies making this awesome stuff have slowly sold themselves to cheaper companies or gone under completely. Orion, being a perfect example. They were a amplifier company in the 80's and early 90's based out of America. They were famous for making "cheater" amps for competitions. Amplifiers rated much lower at higher ohms. But the lower the ohm rating, the more power the amplifier would produce. After the market started changing they sold themselves to a off shores supplier and quality diminished drastically. New equipment may be more efficient and backed by some warranty, but nothing in my eyes will ever compare to the old stuff..    

Nesset127, on 11 Mar 2015 - 4:30 PM, said:

With my experience being rather limited, I don't have much credibility. But when it comes to audio I prefer older style stuff. Pre 1995 ect. My car came pre-wired with a bunch of old A/D/S components and a A/D/S P440 amp with a nice Sony C710 head-unit. I think there is something about the older stuff. It's real quality. Things were just made better. Even if it means you have to lug around a book full of CD's it is pretty awesome. I've been looking for a 70's or 80's Alpine tape deck for a while for the 02 too.. Now that would be bitchin'! My advice would be look at some older options that support MP3 if that's what you are looking for. Alpine has been integrating MP3 support in their units for years now.

Reason being for this is that car audio has changed a lot over the last thirty years. It used to be an enthusiast's game. Now most kids want loud systems in their Civic's and E36 sedans because it makes stuff rattle a lot... This means the market has changed. Kid's don't want to spend top dollar on high quality equipment so therefor the companies making this awesome stuff have slowly sold themselves to cheaper companies or gone under completely. Orion, being a perfect example. They were a amplifier company in the 80's and early 90's based out of America. They were famous for making "cheater" amps for competitions. Amplifiers rated much lower at higher ohms. But the lower the ohm rating, the more power the amplifier would produce. After the market started changing they sold themselves to a off shores supplier and quality diminished drastically. New equipment may be more efficient and backed by some warranty, but nothing in my eyes will ever compare to the old stuff..

yup x 10000......stuff from the 70s/80s..esp the hi end stuff was just amazing...and nice to look at.

i had to laugh seeing you guys refer to CD's as "old".......yikes.

I still have the OEM cassette deck in my 97 M3....and about 120 cassette tapes from, er, college 35 years ago.

if anyone wants "vintage" alpine and pioneer cd decks, i have a couple of them i would be happy to sell ya cheap!

I think there is something about the older stuff. It's real quality. Things were just made better. Even if it means you have to lug around a book full of CD's it is pretty awesome.

Although there's nothing like the sight of a vintage Blaupunkt, If it's just sound that's needed you DIY and hide it all, very inexpensively. 

1.  Troll ebay for USB players and bluetooth input thingies.  All from China, all really inexpensive.  Don't buy the absolute cheapest and the sound will be OK if you have an ANSA exhause

1A.  Wait 3-4 weeks for the parts to arrive in you mailbox (they always come, they always come slowly).

2.  Hide the above parts in the console, glove box, or under a seat. 

(insert creativity here- Ashtrays have plenty of space for controls, or get the front panel from a dead vintage radio to hide them behind and retain the vintage look.)

3.  Use a decent automotive amplifier to power your favorite speaker setup.

4.  Copy the 45's, 8 tracks and cassettes to your iThingie or on a USB stick.  Never look at that old media again. 

The first examples I found (not endorsed or tested by me)  $_35.JPG     $17 for a USB player with Aux input and output

mmQ9VX3XGB_xB3CEJZKYhlA.jpg     $ 0.99 for bluetooth input

Archived