Steering Box Worries - Very tight-Need Help!

cbesing

Hi,

OK, I have reuilt the steeering box according to this forum. The worm and sector gears were perfect with no scarring. The cage bearings were perfect. I installed to the point of adding the center link (see picture) and find it very difficult to turn the steering using an open end wrench.  Also, before attaching the center link, the play in the steering box at center was minimal. Now with all the load, the play is significant at the center.

I torqued the idler arm and track rod to spec.

Is all this normal or do I start over. Holy crap!!!

Chris

post-46234-0-62094800-1425946818_thumb.j

OK, see pic.  I removed the idler arm, added more greese and installed but only tightened down enough to install cotter pin.  Moves smooth.  added center link to idler arm and torqued to only 18 lbs and this added significant friction.  I just dont know how much friction should be in the system. Should the centerlink castlenuts be lightly torqued to they moce freely?

Also, I think the new seal at the worm gear shaft is leaking. I can move the worm gear shaft back and forth about a 1/8 inch each way from center.  I installed all three shims. If i reduce the shims, should it tighten up the worm gear?

Lot of stuff, just dont want to get all this together and back in the car and have a problem...

Chrispost-46234-0-65427000-1425949795_thumb.j

Is it possible that's deffective? Who's the Mfg.? Soak each end of that centerlink in engine oil for 20 minutes before final assembly. I'm not saying that will resolve current stiffness, but I recall reading up that in some place and will help to preserve foam/seal longer.

Also, I think the new seal at the worm gear shaft is leaking. I can move the worm gear shaft back and forth about a 1/8 inch each way from center.

This doesn't sound right. But I have never taken apart steering box...

New ball joints may be a bit sticky but if you mount the flex disc to the steering shaft you should be able to turn it by hand with center link and idler arm installed. If not there must be something wrong IMO.

Tommy

Archived