I don't think the ABS system is working

Healey3000

Hi,

Wouldn't ABS be a nice option for our cars?

Yesterday, I went for my first real "drive" in the '74.  I had to hit the brakes hard when a light changed to red and while she stopped in a straight line, there was a fair bit of drama in the form of tire squeal.  Couldn't tell if it was fronts or rears but three things come to mind as possible contributors:

• Old, hardened tires
  • Incorrect tire inflation
  • Bad front-rear proportioning

What are the other possibilities?  This was by no means an all-out panic stop.  I need confidence in my brakes!  Previous owner had just had them done.

Thanks.

Change your tires for new ones

Blow them up correctly

Adjust the rear brakes manually with a cranked 17mm wrench per directions

Jobs a good un.

Also check front discs & pads & brake fluid level , top off as required , we don't need no electronic doohickys on our 02's ;)

I always down shift too , we have compression in our old cars to help engine brake.

I always down shift too , we have compression in our old cars to help engine brake.

brakes are for stopping. the engine is for going. clutches and gearboxes are a lot more expensive to replace than brake pads. engines are expensive also when that downshift into too low a gear to slow down ends up overreving the engine.

Engine braking also shifts the balance to the rear in an unpredictable way.

do not use the engine to slow down......

What car do you have? Standard 2002? If the PO has done the brakes: sure the rear wheel cylinders are of correct size? If there are the bigger 1602 cylinders in 2002 drums, the car overbrakes rear.

Hen

And no, we don't need ABS. We use our brains.

Hi,

I have a standard 2002 but one never knows what's been upgraded.

What happens when folks convert to the E21 rear brakes?  Doesn't that completely upset the balance?

Thanks.

Bad front-rear proportioning

check for a pair of stuck front calipers or rear slave cylinders.  I'd bet on the fronts.  I'll also bet there is a pair that are stuck, since there was no pull.

Just a thought

Hi,

I have a standard 2002 but one never knows what's been upgraded.

What happens when folks convert to the E21 rear brakes?  Doesn't that completely upset the balance?

Thanks.

Yes,it changes the balance....which is why the rears should not be upsized unless the fronts are too.

Archived