reverse lights (automatic)

Hello faq I am having some electrical issues regarding my reverse lights. When I go into gear my reverse lights do not light up... I checked and cleaned all the bulb housing, threw in new bulbs, a new safety neutral switch but still have come up empty handed.. any suggestions..? (Also if anyone has a picture of how the safety neutral switch should be hooked up that would be greatly appreciated!) Thank you in advanced.

Have a look at the switch front left on the transmission box. Pull the wires green/white and blue/white off and bypass them, ignition on. If the lights light up now, the switch is kaputt.

A real pita to replace it. Needs a special tool.

Hen

thanks for the reply Hen.. I took your advise and tried it but the results where the same... I di happen to notice that the car has a blue-white cable and a purple white I did not see a green and white..

OK, next: automatics have an additional 2-wire-harness in the tunnel to the reverse switch that manuals don't have. (Manuals have their switch in the transmission there.) It starts under the car left near the shifter by a connector and runs forward to the switch. Try to get the wires out of the connector and bypass these two. They are violet/white and blue/white. Any lightnings?

Hen

OK, next: automatics have an additional 2-wire-harness in the tunnel to the reverse switch that manuals don't have. (Manuals have their switch in the transmission there.) It starts under the car left near the shifter by a connector and runs forward to the switch. Try to get the wires out of the connector and bypass these two. They are violet/white and blue/white. Any lightnings?

Hen

FYI -  some manual cars did have a neutral safety interlock switch that looked at the position of the shift selector rod.  Maybe this feature was USA-only for safety reasons.  Several folks here on the FAQ (including myself) have the two extra wires and some remains of the switch and bracket portion of the shift tower.

Ah? That's interesting, I've never seen such on  a manual. Do you or anybody else have a picture of that interlock switch? I'd really like to see it.

So, probably of the same reason: prevent the engine from starting with shifted gear...

Hen

And yes, fuses at first, but I assumed Daniel checked this.

Thanks for the responses everyone I have since figured out the problem..the previous owner took out the green and white cable but I searched for it and found it in the engine bay ran a cable and it worked perfectly thank you all for the help! (This was the last step to becoming road worthy) [emoji3]

Ah? That's interesting, I've never seen such on  a manual. Do you or anybody else have a picture of that interlock switch? I'd really like to see it.

So, probably of the same reason: prevent the engine from starting with shifted gear...

Hen

And yes, fuses at first, but I assumed Daniel checked this.

See this thread

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/120366-shifter-mounting-bolts-to-trans-are-loose/

Archived