Smart Fourtwo Brake Booster vs. Tii Brake Booster

eurotrash

So I was windows shopping on eBay last week and saw a Bosch booster go by that was intriguing.  At a glance, it speaks for itself as to why..

I have no supporting numbers from any 2002 booster, so maybe we here in 02land can come together to get to the bottom of this investigation..?  I need input!  

C619333B-4056-439F-824D-18BFA02161D3.png

0018736C-0450-4FFF-847A-A170A05D5401.jpg

So in a moment of weakness, and insatiable curiosity, I dropped the 65$ and bought the darn thing... master cylinder and all.  The prices was, after all, 'right'.

Dimensions:

Diameter - 175mm

Body Length - 100mm at the perimeter edges on the "top"

Bracket mounting bolt pattern  - 75x75mm 

MC mounting bolt span - 60mm

MC hole - 42mm

Depth, front surface to MC actuating rod (front) - 30mm

Rear push rod - too long, needs fabrication.

Clevis internal width (for connection at brake pedal lever) - TBD

Accompanying Bosch master cylinder:

Internal Diameter - 35mm

Stroke - TBD

More data in the pics regarding the portion of the MC that inserts into the booster.  

I wasn't initially interested in the MC itself, but who knows..  

Now, I don't know how the rear push rod attaches inside the booster, I haven't had the opportunity to crack ANY booster open to know.  But I am sure a little cut and paste can make the back side come together no problem..  even adding the accordion cover from a 2002 booster, over the rear stand off may be doable.

Any one have a Tii and/or standard 2002 booster around to measure and compare numbers?

3FE09AC2-EE5B-4551-A60D-EEFCF15E48EB.jpg

4F002D79-69A2-4F8E-B300-0E5CEEF90847.jpg

5028F535-9C79-4370-8A31-E8B65F42751E.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subscribed. Hopefully we can learn something with this. I'll be looking for a new booster and master for my tii and don't want to shell out $1k to do it.

$1k???

Is that an established price for the booster in the US? And I was thinking about asking for one in the WTB sction...  

Judas Priest.

Hen

$300 for a new master, $700 for a rebuilt booster from 2002haus including a $250 core charge (and you have to send them one). Since I stupidly sold my tii booster/master years ago... that means I've got to pony up at least $1k to get new stuff.

tii brake booster dimensions:

Diameter - 175mm (SAME)

Body Length - 155mm at the perimeter edges on the "top" (DIFFERENT)

Bracket mounting bolt pattern  - 72.5mm x 72.5mm (DIFFERENT)

MC mounting bolt span - 60mm (SAME)

MC hole - 42mm (SAME)

Depth, front surface to MC actuating rod (front) - 0mm (DIFFERENT)

Rear push rod - too long, needs fabrication.  (On the tii booster, measuring from the rear of the booster to the center of the pin that goes through the clevis is about 100mm.) 

Clevis internal width (for connection at brake pedal lever) - (On the tii booster, the clevis internal width is 7mm, external width is 12.5mm.)

Note: the T51 booster body used on the tii was also used on the 2000 CS and several other early e9s, as well as the Volvo P1800.  They can be easily converted to a tii booster by cutting the push rod and welding on an appropriate clevis. 

Grice, was your 72.5 measurement on center?  In looking at my pics, I could be wrong.  I need to revisit and measure more carefully..

I wonder if the MC itself would work..?  I need to get the stroke, and then the ID and stroke of a 2002/Tii/e12 MC to compare volume.  I was about to go to e12 to resolve my 'long pedal' from the BBK/RD brake conversion..

if it bolts up, and the MC checks out, this is a bolt on solution for 100$.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2059210.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsmart+fourtwo+booster.TRS0&_nkw=smart+fourtwo+booster&ghostText=&_sacat=0

EA053AC2-1DBD-420B-A537-05B3DDAC2475.jpgDC6C26C8-E988-4AB1-AB26-EFFDE4AD5838.jpg

tii brake booster dimensions:

Diameter - 175mm (SAME)

Body Length - 155mm at the perimeter edges on the "top" (DIFFERENT)

Bracket mounting bolt pattern  - 72.5mm x 72.5mm (DIFFERENT)

MC mounting bolt span - 60mm (SAME)

MC hole - 42mm (SAME)

Depth, front surface to MC actuating rod (front) - 0mm (DIFFERENT)

Rear push rod - too long, needs fabrication.  (On the tii booster, measuring from the rear of the booster to the center of the pin that goes through the clevis is about 100mm.) 

Clevis internal width (for connection at brake pedal lever) - (On the tii booster, the clevis internal width is 7mm, external width is 12.5mm.)

Note: the T51 booster body used on the tii was also used on the 2000 CS and several other early e9s, as well as the Volvo P1800.  They can be easily converted to a tii booster by cutting the push rod and welding on an appropriate clevis. 

Cool, I have two extra boosters in my tech supply for my 72 1800ES should the need ever arise...I knew they looked the same.

Earl

Yeah, I was just looking at the pic of the MC and the ID can't be 32mm. That was at the back where the C-clip and seal are..All of these measurements were taken on the fly.  I'll pop out the clip, get the thing apart and get a proper ID and stroke measurement, but 23.75 seems very doable, considering the wall thickness, etc.

Cool, I have two extra boosters in my tech supply for my 72 1800ES should the need ever arise...I knew they looked the same.

I tried to sell two E9 brake boosters here on the FAQ a few weeks ago for $150 each, shipped.  I even explained how to convert them to tii boosters.  No takers.  Fortunately, there were two interested parties over on e9coupes.com who took advantage of the offer.

I think my man ClayW has in his garage a T51 booster that he pulled from a Volvo P1800 a few years ago.  It looks very similar, if not identical to the E9 booster.

I balked on buying that Tii piece and that is what led to this..  I'm too stubborn in trying to make the standard booster work with the carbs.  But now I want to experiment with tuning with long stacks and my booster is a problem..  its fine otherwise.

I tried to sell two E9 brake boosters here on the FAQ a few weeks ago for $150 each, shipped.  I even explained how to convert them to tii boosters.  No takers.  Fortunately, there were two interested parties over on e9coupes.com who took advantage of the offer.

I think my man ClayW has in his garage a T51 booster that he pulled from a Volvo P1800 a few years ago.  It looks very similar, if not identical to the E9 booster.

Archived