Jacked !

Hutton

Okay....Need to buy another floor jack.

I have a 3 ton heavy dutie AC Delco standard floor jack. Don't get me wrong the thing is built proof and had it for 10 years no issues. I need suggestion on a second floor jack. Looking for a low profile , light weight aluminum floor Jack that will last. Thought about Harbor Freight ? Thoughts?

Having two floor jacks makes things easyer with rear sub frame working

post-32067-0-62601600-1425426980_thumb.j

HF aluminum jacks are OK - there are several versions.  TireRack.com sells an aluminum jack and (2) stands.

Keep a look out for big sales at Sears for their Craftsman jacks.  They are my preference - although heavy..

There have been several threads here about floor jacks.

ps: Your car is looking great!

my experience with HF jacks is...do not get the under $100 aluminum ones.  i have seen them break, tip over and fail several times at the track.  PDX students all seem to buy the cheapest jack they can find and bring it to the track to change tires.  it ends badly.  those jacks are cheap for a reason.

get the next level up.  the HF ones in the $120- $150 range (sale prices).

such as

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/2-ton-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapidpump-68051.html

they are decent as a back up jack for exactly what you are intending to use it for.  no, they are not high end german machinery, but they get the job done.

I bought the 3 ton Craftsman right off the bat, thinking I'd buy 'merican... Nope...Chi-Com crap. It's heavy and won't pump unless it gets a full stroke of the piston (makes for slow going when it's up under the diff). The valve release is all-or-nothing when setting it down. So there is no easing it onto the jack stands.

I then went to the aluminum Harbor Freight when it went on sale. I now use it exclusively. It's low-profile gets under my short car, it pumps up smoothly and more importantly, it releases smoothly. No more slamming down onto the jack stands.

...my $0.02

Ed Z

got mine at Sears, it is low profile but steel. works for me. light weight aluminum stuff is for sissies.

opps when i looked it turns' out i am wrong. HF 3 TON rapid lift damm heavy.

As one of the many "sissies" I have to admit I much appreciate the lighter weight of my HF jack over the much heavier steel one I used for many years before selling it to my boss (who was the Arizona weight-lifting Champion for his age group).

The one recommended above by Marshall (Mytle) is excellent and only weighs 42½ lbs.  If you only ever have your jack on one flat surface the steel versions might be fine, but I need to store mine in my shop, which is 4" higher than the conc. floor where our two '02s sit.  Hence, I always appreciate the much lighter weight of the Alum. models.  I've been using mine for about 7 or 8 years now with no problems.

Bob Napier

You sadly can't buy the amazing Costco jack anymore. That was in my opinion, the best jack for the money! Was 99 bucks and worked MUCH better than my Dad's $200 dollar Craftsman jack! But I believe HF carries a rebranded version now which is a couple bucks more. I honestly would buy another if I was actually in a house of my own and not renting... The only downside is yah, it weighs in at about 60lbs, but I use this thing on my lifted truck and my lowered 02. Works great on both!

Costco Jack

20120212_Jack.JPG

HF One

image_23401.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/3-ton-low-profile-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-61282.html

Multiple friends of mine own the HF 3 ton jacks. We have beat the hell out of those things and they just keep working. They have been dragged through snow and water and been accidentally dropped out of cars a couple times. The piece that holds the handles together is the only thing that ever broke, and that was solved by just putting a bolt through it. We even found one that would thread in so we didn't even need a nut to hold it together.

I have a 30 year old craftsman 2 ton jack that I still use. However, it did get cranky and difficult to turn the handle so shopped around and found not a lot of "Murican made" choices under $400. Bought the 3 ton H/F

jack shown above. It has the ability to lift pretty low vehicles because of the saddle design. Heavy, yup

but it's been bulletproof on all my automotive projects. Agree with Mlytle, the cheapo H/F aluminum race

jacks are an injury looking for a place to happen. A possible alternative if H/F is not available is the

Alcan brand at Northern Hydraulics. Believe they have a model comparable to my H/F 3 ton, probably built in

the same Chinese factory.

Archived