crank pulley removal

ash00

Hey gang

I'm trying to install a new crank pulley will trigger wheel. Any tips or special tools I need to remove the original one While it's in the car? With the parking brake on and car in first, along with the small clearance with the front lip...seems too difficult. Thanks!

Great, thanks. I have to somehow get an impact in there without removing the radiator.

Not sure whether this is possible but rather than relying on the transmission to hold the crank steady, you can jam a stubby screwdriver into the flywheel gears through one of the holes adjacent to the inspection cover. I had to do this as my clutch slipped when I took a breaker bar to the crank pulley nut.

Oh, and there's another tip for you. If you don't have an impact wrench, you need a length of pipe on your socket wrench or a very long breaker bar. 3' worked for me after letting it soak in penetrating oil overnight.

I just doubt you can get that in there and then even if you do, you run the risk of puncturing the radiator if something slips. This might be false economy to figure out how to do this without just pulling the radiator.

I should just do it the right way and remove the radiator. Can't afford to be lazy after all this work!

I'm definitely sympathetic to your goal of avoiding pulling the radiator. I had it all apart to replace the crank pulley seal last summer and would like to eventually try Megajolt this summer or fall, so I've given some thought to this, but I've concluded the same; do it right.

Scope creep alert!: You might want to consider replacing the crank pulley seal and water pump if you don't know the history of either. And what about your coolant hoses, accessory belt, and thermostat? Something to think about but it turns an afternoon job into something closer to a weekend job...or at least that's what happened to me. (Ha! I revised this paragraph 3 times to add items to it. Scope creep is dangerous.)

Great advice! The motor is fresh luckily, but it's worth an inspection. I had a crank wheel on there, but the megajolt wanted a 36t one instead. I need to see if my old wheel will work! That's working smart, not lazy right?

OK guys! With the engine in the car, the simplest and fool proof way is to use your starter to break the nut loose.  Just brace the breaker bar on the floor with socket on nut.  Briefly turn starter on and nut will loosen right away.  Done this many times on M10/M30 engines.

without removing the radiator. 

I don't think you can get a rattle gun on it with the rad in place.  

Breaker bar and the starter will do it, but put a piece of plywood to protect the

radiator in case the bar launches itself off the nut....

t

• 1 month later...

Archived