sold ..... 2002 turbo, Unrestored Original Condition

Must have had the fenders replaced at some point. The seam above the grills is not brazed and should be if the car is unrestored.

Good eye. And the rocker panels should be painted black. My gut told me this is not original paint. And the full description states that the car may have had a substantial cosmetic overhaul in 2012, but they allegedly left the engine alone. But the car also has a engine other than the one installed at the factory. So...what is original about this car?

Regards,

Steve

Definite repaint--there's overspray on the windshield washer nozzles and the four mounting screws on the panel that covers the heater.  And check the color difference between the trunk torsion bars and the trunk lid interior...

Interesting--antenna but no radio visible...

Incidentally apropos of our valve cover discussion, note that the Turbo uses a roundie-style tii valve cover, the "second series" cover used on all but the earliest roundies.  Kinda reinforces our supposition that BMW used up all their second series tii valve covers on the '74 tii's (and Turbos).

cheers

mike

Is the rear bumper bent at the left corner? Where is the antenna? Did late turbos come with the exhaust end in the middle?

Overspray also on the front lid hook. The opening for it is bent. Hole probably for TDC flasher drilled beneath. I did this to my KF cars, too, but it isn't factory style.

The area above the battery between the regulator and the radiator, pooh... Cable isolation torn, tie strap...

Did turbos have a brake fluid switch? What's the yellow item between the radiator and the airbox? The front lid hinges are alpinweiss. Isolated ignition wires...  Left wheel housing next to the strut bearing...  Cap on the right strut bearing torn...  Yeah, trunk torsion bars are pastellblue.

Left door panel pickled. The clip doesn't fit correctly, I guess. Is there overspray at the door lock? Rust at the lower border? Center concole torn. Wrong shifter knob. What is there at the left console wall between the lower air outlet and the gauges?

I'd have a lot of ideas what to do with 80,000€, but never buy a 2002 turbo, especially not this one.

And generally I don't understand this hype about the turbos. They need more than 4000rpm to get some punch, the fuel consumption is excessive and in the city traffic any Isetta is quicker. Tsss.

Hen

At first glance it is JUST beautiful. I can see deep pockets buying it, even with it's flaws.I gotta say Turbo owners must be smiling right now.

Yep. I'd say unrestored, just not original! To restore is to put it back into factory original condition, deffinatly not done here any time recently.

....Incidentally apropos of our valve cover discussion, note that the Turbo uses a roundie-style tii valve cover, the "second series" cover used on all but the earliest roundies.  Kinda reinforces our supposition that BMW used up all their second series tii valve covers on the '74 tii's (and Turbos).

cheers

mike

Thanks, Mike. Now noted!

Regards,

Steve

All comments above do seem to be true, especially for the BMW 2002 Purist.

On the other side, I know quite a few guys now spending almost twice as much for mid 70's 911's which in California were arguably the worst years ever. A close Porsche friend who also owns 3 M3's drove a mid 60's 911 and would never own one at $160k. The reason I bring this up is this car most likely went to a collector to add to his stable of Garage Queens and will probably be seen twice a year at a Euro Cars and Coffee, he'll be ecstatic that this cost half of what his Porsche's cost.

All comments above do seem to be true, especially for the BMW 2002 Purist.

On the other side, I know quite a few guys now spending almost twice as much for mid 70's 911's which in California were arguably the worst years ever. A close Porsche friend who also owns 3 M3's drove a mid 60's 911 and would never own one at $160k. The reason I bring this up is this car most likely went to a collector to add to his stable of Garage Queens and will probably be seen twice a year at a Euro Cars and Coffee, he'll be ecstatic that this cost half of what his Porsche's cost.

I believe you're right on all these points, but 80K Euro (and up) was previously reserved for very special examples -- restored or original -- and this appears to be somewhat less than a very special example. But, of course, each new early 911 or tii sale listing also shocks me (us?)!

Regards,

Steve

Archived