• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cloth seats - blasphemy??

Healey3000

My Malaga tii has Brown Monza cloth Recaros and even though the picture does not look like it, the seats are better matched than anything else I could find.  I was going to have a set of black vinyl E21 Recaros recovered in Mercedes M-Tex brown material, but that was too expensive and I (still) have trouble finding a close match.  The cloth seats are very comfortable year-round.

IMG_8428.jpg

Color is hard to photograph - here they are inside

IMG_8420.jpg

Those are nice.  I've always been partial to two-tone seats, with a black outer region to match the black dash.

Cloth hounds-tooth inserts were actually an option on the Baur Targas. Love these seats by the way. Comfortable and durable....

Are they otherwise stock?  Nice!

Didn't the O.P. ask for Blasphemy?

Today I am putting cloth Toyota 4-Runner seats in my car.  Comfort trumps originality.  (Got to save that thin Original Vinyl for the auction block, haha).  

The seats have adjustable fronts (height), lumbar (three settings), bolsters on the backs adjust in and out, headrests adjust up and down and rachet forward.  

Wrong colored Japanese seats in a German car? :o  BLASSPHEMY!

015.jpg

018.jpg

Umm, saddle tan; such a rich color, particularly in a British car.

What specific model year are these 4Runner seats from?

Mine has cloth Recaros as well. Cool in the summer, toasty in the spring and fall...

post-39984-0-54410600-1425256596_thumb.j

RipR2

The BMW 2002 US VIN 2591740 was manufactured on June 4th, 1973 and delivered on September 14th, 1973 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Fjord metallic, paint code 037.

I had cloth stock Acura seats for a long time-

loved them!

Go cloth.  It's not blasphemy, it's good sense!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Those are nice.  I've always been partial to two-tone seats, with a black outer region to match the black dash.

Are they otherwise stock?  Nice!

Yes, otherwise stock.

FYI, targa seats are actually unique to that model in that they sit lower to compensate for the bulkier roof panel.

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

did u say stock seats?

do cloth inserts.......do it....you will love the proper retro period look and comfort

half the seats here in this thread look silly...my opinion...but stock seats w/ cloth rock../see the mintgreen car..nice

NML is pricey....for scheel cord

sms has a great cord look. for my car I bought Lauren polo 100 % cotton cord to do my seats..looks cool..and correct.

do it..p cars been doing it 4ever....

post 12...polo cord insert..my seat..the foto has strange shadows...dont know y.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/125154-original-recaro-sport-seats/

post-34724-0-04580900-1425315417_thumb.j

post-34724-0-30561300-1425315438_thumb.j

Edited by jrkoupe

Thank you.  I like the look of the stock seats as well, but they need new padding... at least on the bottoms.  The fabric and vinyl are wearing thin, but match the 'patina' of the rest of my car.  

I did follow through an get the 4-Runner seat installed yesterday, right on schedule... as in, it took 3.4 times longer than I anticipated.  I asked my girlfriend how they looked and she said "very out of place... but maybe I just haven't gotten used to seeing them yet."  

After one test drive, I am sure they are going to stay in the car.  It was like switching from a leather soled shoe to a running shoe.  The whole car feels so much more capable now.  The seats make me feel secure.  I went from saying, 'these seats aren't that uncomfortable.'  To 'these seats are reeeallly comfortable.'

The blue seats make me sit a little bit higher.  They would not work for a tall person, but for someone 5'10" with a 30" inseam, they are great.  I had been thinking my 02 needed a tilt steering wheel, but sitting a little higher makes it feel perfect.

I am one who celebrates originality, but at what price?  New seat pads might make the originals a lot better, but free blue seats are cheaper and easier for now.  The cool thing about seats is that they are so easy to swap, (once new brackes/adaptors are made).  Four bolts and they're out.

I do appreciate the compliment on my original seats.  They will be safe, up on the shelf in the back of my shop.  I realize I might have just crossed into the 'silly looking' category (mostly due to color), but this car is for driving, not just for looking at.