• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you date valve covers by type?

kiva667

Rather than continuing to hijack another thread, I thought I would ask a separate question as a new topic:

Were the three different styles of valve covers produced chronologically? I hit the search function but found nothing on this.

Early - no ribbing, only "BMW" the cover.

Middle - ribbing plus "BMW" aft of the filler hole

Later - ribbing plus roundel

Did the production of each one correspond to exact years? Or were there years when more than one of the types was used?

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

I can't really help you with any of your questions, but I think it's interesting how many variations of the valve covers there are. Take these two for example. 

Here you have the roundel forward of the oil cap (this is the valve cover that I have). 

post-48014-0-90038400-1425098618_thumb.j

And here you have the roundel behind the oil cap!!

post-48014-0-14275500-1425098647_thumb.j

They all have their date stamp cast into them. Earlier had BMW letters, later had the roundel later yet had the roundel and the little support fins on the front where it necks down, and 320i ones had a spot to bolt some stuff.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

.....Did the production of each one correspond to exact years? Or were there years when more than one of the types was used?

I haven't a clue as to these answers but it sounds like a great "research project," especially since the casting dates would provide a clear chronology. I'm not volunteering but I'm subscribing!

I'll bet trends would emerge if you collected images of 50 valve covers along with their dates. And there are LOTS of these covers around that aren't bolted on cars!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Turn the valve cover over to reveal the part stamping date (not necessarily the month/year of your car)

Valve covers used on tii's have a short vent tube required to clear the intake manifold plenum.  

Please excuse the dead bug

c17626da.jpg

e21 M10 (possibly others) valve covers have a machined surface with (2) threaded holes for securing an emissions-related device

Here is the engine bay of Matthew Cervi's 73tii (with a later valve cover)

Vintage2008Meet058.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Yeah.

I would'nt be astonished if this thread exploded like a bomb.

Clear surface with only "BMW" without lines, with lines, roundel at the front or in the middle, air valve socket or not, oil snorkel short or long, sinews or not...

Lots of variations.

Cheers,

Henning

Kiva667 is beyond the casting date issue -- an issue I noted in passing in the current '74 Euro '02 for-sale thread -- and asking, I believe, to what extent we can "date" the valve covers WITHOUT pulling them off. Apart from the tii issue, there are at least 4 styles of '02 valve covers for carbureted cars. More? Lots more?

OK. I am NOT volunteering for this project but perhaps those interested could post on this thread a photo of their valve cover(s) along with a photo of the casting date for that valve cover. There must be a dozen members here who have 5 to 10 spare valve covers sitting on a shelf! And...adjusting your valves this weekend? Well, just snap a couple photos and post them here!

Pictured below, my spare cover for my April '76-manufactured car is probably April '76, although my nubs are a little disorderly! Zundfolge at rear of cover, roundel at front of cover.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-17640100-1425131918_thumb.j

post-41123-0-59146200-1425131933_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

I can't really help you with any of your questions, but I think it's interesting how many variations of the valve covers there are. Take these two for example. 

But you MAY be able to help with this question! Are these spare valve covers? If so, how about re-posting these two photos, each followed by a photo of their casting date?

Regards,

Steve

It would be nice to know whether or not a valve cover is likely original without having to remove it. For example, I last had my cover off a couple of months ago but am not a fan of "fixing" things if they're not broke, so I am not inclined to remove it again just to look at the casting date.

Since I am also a fan of keeping things stock - within reasonable limits - it would be fun to know if my valve cover fits the year of the car. If it definitely does not then I will have to keep my eye out for a reasonably priced early cover. I've noticed that when they do come up for sale they tend to be on the expensive side. And while we know that some 1967 cars came with the early smooth valve cover, there is no certainty at this point that they all did.

post-38342-0-45167200-1425136832_thumb.j

Edited by kiva667

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

"Rust Never Sleeps"

But you MAY be able to help with this question! Are these spare valve covers? If so, how about re-posting these two photos, each followed by a photo of their casting date?

Regards,

Steve

I would but I got these two images from a Google image search. They are not mine unfortunately. My valve cover is the same as the top picture though.

Sent from my abacus using precise finger movements......

73tii date of mfg Nov 72.

attachicon.gifEngine_2012sml.jpg

Thanks, Paul.

Just to be clear, is November '72 reflected on the cover's casting date? My sense is that the original covers generally date to the car's manufacturing months or within a few months prior.

Best regards,

Steve

I think Steve has a point here, that the car's manufacture date isn't necessarily the same as the cover's casting date, which may be earlier. And unless you are the original owner how can you even be sure that the cover is original to the car? That is my dilemma anyway.

Kit

"Rust Never Sleeps"