Timing Chain :(

pisgahlvr

Maybe your shop is referring to the repair manual where's written: drag out the engine, take off head and pan and replace chain and both cogs.

If you've got a tool like this:

post-42081-0-09033200-1425067389_thumb.j

you can open the old chain, attach the new one to it by a chain lock, push the car a couple of yards, take the old chain away and close the new one by the lock. Add valve cover- finished, if your cogs aren't too bad.

Hen

What sort of experience does this shop have with these engines?

I remember one old timer on here saying he has never seen a timing chain actually fail on an m10.

A new one might make your spark a little more accurate, but a new distributor would likely be a bigger improvement.

I would rather spend money on a new distributor.

I think I would be taking my car home now, or to another shop; as stated above, for a second opinion.

What was the complaint when you took it to the shop?  As stated above in 42 years of playing with M10 powered BMW's including some very high HP race engines I have NEVER seen a chain fail.  If it has stretched so much the tensioner can't keep it tight the pulleys are probably worn enough a new chain will only partially solve the problem.  If it is that tired my guess is the rest of the engine is not far behind,  I would wait and save up some $$$ and freshen the entire engine (rings, bearings, valve job at the min)  that $1000 is about half way there. 

What was the complaint when you took it to the shop? As stated above in 42 years of playing with M10 powered BMW's including some very high HP race engines I have NEVER seen a chain fail. If it has stretched so much the tensioner can't keep it tight the pulleys are probably worn enough a new chain will only partially solve the problem. If it is that tired my guess is the rest of the engine is not far behind, I would wait and save up some $$$ and freshen the entire engine (rings, bearings, valve job at the min) that $1000 is about half way there.

Sorry I should have clarified. The chain did not break, it's just very loose. The engine has a brand new carb, new wires, plugs, cap, a pertronix, and the timing is more or less dialed in. But they are saying that because the timing chain is so loose, they can not get the engine to time.

Sent from my abacus using precise finger movements......

I have not clarified any of that with them yet. Mainly because it is a busy shop with a fantastic reputation so getting the owner on the phone was a little tough. I did explain to them everything that i have replaced thus far. And the owner explained to me that their 2002 tech is highly experienced on them. I did A LOT of searching around the Charlotte area looking for a shop that I felt was "the right one". I felt this one was the best choice to avoid having to transport the car up to Korman in Greeneville.

$1000 bucks to do the timing chain?! That's down right funny right there! It's a few hundred in parts yah if you're getting all new gears, but I wouldnt say $1000 bucks! Then again I do all my work so I'm a cheapo... But it sounds pretty high to me.

Lol well it sounds high to me too. But I've never changed a timing chain. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to change one. Are you close to Charlotte? Perhaps you could help me?

Yes a loose timing chain can cause as much as a 5-8 deg timing variation when you are at certain engine speeds (the chain goes through harmonic phases like plucking a low string on a bass) my question is what kind of shape is the engine in? How many miles? Have they done a compression test and leak down? It sounds like you are bolting on all sorts of new parts on the outside without knowing what's inside. "Putting a new saddle on a dead horse makes him look better but doesn't make him run any faster"

Archived