• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemmings Stock Exchange - 2002tii

John_in_VA

Nice article but I'm perplexed by their take on tii values. $22.7K for tiis? I'd love to find me some of those! Perhaps they mean average values, including everything from restoration projects to pristine examples. Everything we've seen over the past decade and certainly as of late suggests that tii values indeed have "skyrocketed" contrary to Hemmings's depiction of the so-called "affordable" buy. Am I missing something?

COOP

Edited by COOP

The writer, Terry Shea sounds like someone whose name is vaguely familiar but I can't quite place.

A few quibbles with his article:

I've been playing with BMW 2002's for 25 years and I've never seen a Close ratio 4 speed transmission as

built by Getrag and available in a 2002. Getrag 235\5 Close ratio 5 speeds for sure but they were and are

somewhat uncommon and pricy. And squarelites and Roundie Tii's are priced the same. Really ? I'm thinking

the HMN pricing is a bit behind the curve given what's been happening in the marketplace recently.

Grassroots Motorsports just published a list of collector cars, comparing their 2012 pricing versus 2014

pricing for the same #2 condition car. Example: 1988 BMW M3 17,300/44,000 for a mere 154 % increase in 2

years. 1977 Porsche Turbo 44,300/130,000 for a mere 193 % increase in 2 years. A little closer to reality, 1984 Porsche 911 Carrerra Coupe 29,100/37,600 for a 29% gain over 2 years. While these examples obviously

are above our beloved 2002's place in the Automotive Food Chain, their pricing apparently is impacting the

market as the theory of Substitute goods comes into play. Can't afford an early 911 ? Buy a BMW 2002 for

half the money and if that's not enough find a nice Tii or Turbo, still for way less than Porsche money.

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold

some good points by Russ for sure. The 02 is/was one of the last truly enjoyable drivable classics that was under the radar, price wise, for a very long time. Just look at last yr or 3 yrs ago..prices for a nice sorted 02 was like what 6-8k...not now. Tii's of course lead the way (behind turbos that is). Want a classic thats on the upswing?....911's too much, gtv's too much?...510's hard to find? e types too much, etc etc etc...geez, look at beetle prices... get an 02!!!!.....compared to many, even a restored 02 at 18 or so...and a tii at 24 or so is a bargain. The car is now appealing to collectors...flippers, folks that just want to be in the vintage scene etc..its niche has grown beyond us .,.... good and bad, right? for yrs our little group fought about cars being worth 4 5 or 6k.....it was silly. Forget about those numbers now....that 5k car will need 5k more love soon enough. And early 911's?......get a loan!

post-34724-0-88293400-1425053671_thumb.j

Edited by jrkoupe

The writer, Terry Shea sounds like someone whose name is vaguely familiar but I can't quite place.A few quibbles with his article:I've been playing with BMW 2002's for 25 years and I've never seen a Close ratio 4 speed transmission asbuilt by Getrag and available in a 2002. Getrag 235\5 Close ratio 5 speeds for sure but they were and aresomewhat uncommon and pricy. And squarelites and Roundie Tii's are priced the same. Really ? I'm thinkingthe HMN pricing is a bit behind the curve given what's been happening in the marketplace recently.Grassroots Motorsports just published a list of collector cars, comparing their 2012 pricing versus 2014pricing for the same #2 condition car. Example: 1988 BMW M3 17,300/44,000 for a mere 154 % increase in 2years. 1977 Porsche Turbo 44,300/130,000 for a mere 193 % increase in 2 years. A little closer to reality, 1984 Porsche 911 Carrerra Coupe 29,100/37,600 for a 29% gain over 2 years. While these examples obviouslyare above our beloved 2002's place in the Automotive Food Chain, their pricing apparently is impacting themarket as the theory of Substitute goods comes into play. Can't afford an early 911 ? Buy a BMW 2002 forhalf the money and if that's not enough find a nice Tii or Turbo, still for way less than Porsche money.

I was going to mention that part of the article about Squares & Roundies being worth the same as that didn't seem at all accurate given recent market activity...but I didn't want to kick off a big Square/Roundies debate. They're all great and beautiful cars but is there really data to suggest that their values are equal? 

Looking more closely at his statement, perhaps the author just means that the "trend" lines are similar (ie, both Squares & Roundies have appreciated at about the same rate) rather than saying that they share the same monetary value...

COOP

Edited by COOP