• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BC Racing Coilover Suspension - Feeler

nerdydorkus

I hope there is a demand for this product in the 2002 community.  This thread is to show BC that there is enough interest for them to start R&D and make a product for the 2002.  Once there is enough interest, we can start a group buy.

I'm talking about a true bolt on system for a reasonable price.  No shipping your suspension in for fabrication, no expensive rebuild processes, options to provide way more than the current products out there (external reservoir, inverted struts, swift spring upgrades, remote adjuster).

I have BC Racing BR coilovers on my Subaru WRX and an E30.  They are great coils and I have been competitive with them at track days and autoX events.

The kits normally cost $1,000, and the replacement struts are 80/each. Adjustable ride height, dampening.  I needed new struts after 75k of driving on crappy San Diego roads.  Instead of rebuilding I just order new struts and replace them with minimal downtime (1/2 a day).  The units are made of coated steel (heavy), and the only other viable product is KW V1 (Inox Aluminum) or the Suspension Techniques Coilover (Same as V1 but Steel).  But rebuilding through KW is a pain...

Cost wise, the other options aren't even close.  $1,700 for the full GC kit.  IE $625 for the rear, up to $1500 for the fronts.  Plus add that your current suspension has value that you can sell to reduce your bottom line.

Edited by nerdydorkus

KW is heard of in more late-model applications. I considered them for my Subaru, but decided to just go with springs and a new set of struts and shocks instead.

I think you're fighting an uphill battle here. Ireland and Ground Control are pretty entrenched. But I hope you get some interest. Another option never hurts.

And what are they doing for the rear? Shock/spring combination or a coilover? Rear coilovers are more work than street cars need and will remove a lot of potential buyers from the pool.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

I beg to differ.  Ireland Engineering has a great following, for good reason, but there is significant downtime involved with taking off my suspension, shipping it in, and they paying the $1,400 plus to get something that is similar in theory.  With BC you get camber plates, ride height, dampening adjustability.  You can even have the struts inverted so the fluid doesn't get as hot, add on an external reservoir, rear remote adjusters, etc.

Ground Control is also a good option, but IMO not great since it costs $1700.

BC is unheard of here simply because they do not have an application for the 2002.  Anywhere else in the industry they are definitely tried and proven.  Heck, I've won autoX events on them and have been daily driving them for a very long time.  The E30 rear kit consists of a separate spring and damper, I would assume they would do the same thing on the 2002 chassis.

Edited by nerdydorkus

KW is creme de la creme.   There is a big downside though.  The biggest cost of ownership of a coilover suspension is how much it costs to rebuild.  KW requires shipment, significant downtime, and is much more cost prohibitive on the front and backend.  

With BC, just call them and buy 4 new struts, they ship them to you for $395 out the door.  You simply unbolt your coilover brackets, set the preload, bolt everything back in.  1/2 day downtime if you take your time.

KW is heard of in more late-model applications. I considered them for my Subaru, but decided to just go with springs and a new set of struts and shocks instead.

I think you're fighting an uphill battle here. Ireland and Ground Control are pretty entrenched. But I hope you get some interest. Another option never hurts.

And what are they doing for the rear? Shock/spring combination or a coilover? Rear coilovers are more work than street cars need and will remove a lot of potential buyers from the pool.

Edited by nerdydorkus

highly doubt it would be a true coilover.......Im sure u know that.

I have BC coilovers in my 1997 M3 Sedan.

the rears began leaking recently, $110/each for new inserts and hardware.

I like them, they ride OK, are very adjustable, and at $1000, definitely the price is right.

I would even say that BC leads the import car market for entry level CO. They are well-made and stand up to abuse.

I think if they had an application for 2002s at $1000 they would have good business.

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

I beg to differ.  Ireland Engineering has a great following, for good reason, but there is significant downtime involved with taking off my suspension, shipping it in, and they paying the $1,400 plus to get something that is similar in theory.  With BC you get camber plates, ride height, dampening adjustability.  You can even have the struts inverted so the fluid doesn't get as hot, add on an external reservoir, rear remote adjusters, etc.

Ground Control is also a good option, but IMO not great since it costs $1700.

BC is unheard of here simply because they do not have an application for the 2002.  Anywhere else in the industry they are definitely tried and proven.  Heck, I've won autoX events on them and have been daily driving them for a very long time.  The E30 rear kit consists of a separate spring and damper, I would assume they would do the same thing on the 2002 chassis.

before you go comparing apples and oranges...be sure what the fruit you have is...

soooooo...is BC going to make a whole new strut that includes the axle?  that would be dang expensive.  newer cars have removable strut tubes that make it easy to change....like those in the picture you posted.  2002's do not have that option.  you have to start with a 2002 strut...and modify it.  that is why it takes longer to get IE or GC to do a 2002 suspension.  i bet you are going to have to send struts in to BC to modify..just like any other 2002 suspension manufacturer.  you cannot just replace the strut tube.

as for price....i have used a lot of different suspensions on many race and street cars and have driven other's cars with even more options.   the main thing i learned is you get what you pay for.  cheap suspensions are....cheap...and they handle and last accordingly.  

btw - imho, KW is mediocre.  not creme of anything.  

2xM3

I am sorry if you are offended.  You seem rather short and antagonistic with my posts.  I'm not saying IE/GC is better or worse.  All I am saying is I am in the market for a more plug and play system that is easy to install, cost effective, and easily rebuildable.  I love KW suspension, especially the V3s for daily driving, but that is just my opinion...  No need to rebut my opinion.  If you are not in the market for said product, that is ok.. 

And yes, BC Racing kits have provided both of those applications for other cars.

post-48169-0-05637100-1424742003_thumb.j

post-48169-0-24591300-1424742009.jpg

post-48169-0-33819500-1424742026_thumb.j

not offended, just countering some of your incorrect assertions like market options, damper replacement, features, etc.  

yes, we all have opinions.  if BC can do a suspension with a complete 2002 strut/axle for that price point, it will be perfect for those whose two suspension requirements are cheap and adjustable.

there was a KW3 suspension under an E36 i raced.  unimpressive. no matter how much damper tuning I did, it could not match the JRZ/GC setup in my otherwise similar race car.  just a data point.

btw - in post #4,  "dampening" is getting something wet.    damping is what suspension dampers do to control the movement of a spring.  ;)

2xM3

As well, a large reason to invert the shocks is so that there is less sprung weight to control. Not sure on fluid cooling though, I know the addition of the reservoir will do that because the reservoir will act as an external heat sink and dissipate some of the heat generated by the suspension damping action.

In the end, I can not currently afford suspension parts for my 02, but I am intrigued by the idea of inverted shocks and possibility of a complete kit of parts.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Yup, plus the heat generated by the brakes. It doesn't cool, it just doesn't get as hot, if that makes sense. 

As well, a large reason to invert the shocks is so that there is less sprung weight to control. Not sure on fluid cooling though, I know the addition of the reservoir will do that because the reservoir will act as an external heat sink and dissipate some of the heat generated by the suspension damping action.

In the end, I can not currently afford suspension parts for my 02, but I am intrigued by the idea of inverted shocks and possibility of a complete kit of parts.

Edited by nerdydorkus

I'm already sorted suspension-wise, but I think it's definitely an option for people. It would be nice to have a set installed on an 02 so that a car could be displayed and photographed. Might generate interest. I know there is a cost involved with that, but it might be worth it. There are long established "solutions" within the 02 community. This is definitely a "show me" crowd.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun