• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 BMW 2002 project

brandon5069

Short on time as always, but I've been playing with the car a bit. 

Finally decided on a catch can setup. I like it. Functional and doesn't look out of place. 

vawBH63.jpg?1

Installed rocker trim with the correct vinyl strips and mounting hardware. New trim with sharp edges = scary.  

mRkyZjF.jpg

Found a guy in Cyprus selling these awesome looking fog lights. 

P16k2KO.jpg

Positioning here looks good to me. 

3pz5ZPL.jpg

The process is just as fun as driving the car. I'm almost glad things are moving slowly.... 

Still looking for that gutter trim. 

These photos are out of sequence, but relevant and may help folks in the future. 

Cracked front subframe is a common problem for the 2002. Here's how Ken solved the problem on my car. 

Media blasted for inspection: 

9TViyGf.jpg

HyA1XSO.jpg

AkkUG2F.jpg

Welded and reinforced: 

twb8esZ.jpg

Back together: 

5TvSOml.jpg

zvmqtEg.jpg

Rear subframe was decent enough, but had to give these a try: 

QwmZx5S.jpg

KBl9pVv.jpg

Pedal box problems...

Fom08bq.jpg

tGHjWpM.jpg

TfLThjO.jpg

What kind of sway bar is that? I have a similar style, its 25mm from the previous owner.

Also, did you have symptoms of a cracked subframe? What is it? Just so I know for future diagnosis,

Finally what kind of bushings are those for the rear subframe? L

Thanks!

Edited by ClarenceTE72

The sway bars had very faded Dinan stickers on them. I like that they make use of the OE mount.

I really only drove the car a few miles before it was tore down, so I couldn't tell you symptoms. However, we can just imagine what would have happened should I continued driving with the cracked subframe.

IE makes the rear subframe mounts. I don't have much to compare it to, but they're not noisey or too stiff as far as I can tell.

https://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-suspension-steering/02urethanerearSBM.html