1969 BMW 2002 project

brandon5069

I figure it's about time I put all the pictures and some words together for what has been and continues to be a very fun experience. 

With the help of Ken Blasko at Vintage BMW Racing we're taking a very neglected, losing SCCA ITB race car and giving it a second chance as a winning street car. Ken's accolades speak for themselves, but it'd be very easy for me to go on and on about him rather than the car. It's been awesome working with him on the project. 

Onto the pics...(lots of them)

Arrived running, but not driveable. Looked to have been parked for 10+ years. 

4tVxNfE.jpg

dD8Msmm.jpg

B4dw4cb.jpg

ZZml5tP.jpg

Having just had a little boy the car again was losing. It sat in the garage for a while. When time permitted I'd sit and write notes on ALL the things that needed to be addressed and/or purchased. Parts trickled in..surprises found...

wIV3yFr.jpg

P8Rxvd6.jpg

4XCIYsy.jpg

9KRyxFu.jpg

mP6T4Ta.jpg

KksJ3Q7.jpg

ucHfiiQ.jpg

VKidmEI.jpg

JHXrJFK.jpg

rLR91km.jpg

Ii4LVHE.jpg

Q1boebv.jpg

zam5kUs.jpg

Engine configuration is still unknown, but we can only assume it's to SCCA ITB spec - stock with a 32/36

Many days after a long day of work and child rearing I'd fiddle with the car to wind down. After a year of fiddling I got the car driving. 

rLUEekp.jpg

fXFlAWv.jpg

rJoVEnZ.jpg

FOYMOpS.jpg

Time to take it apart and keep buying parts right? 

G2j4C8c.jpg

BU65vPv.jpg

Time flew by, the car sat, and baby #2 was on the way. Time to make a decision! I emailed Ken asking if he'd be willing to help get the car back driving. Despite my meager budget... The landslide began...

CQKgq9s.jpg

3cZOHhl.jpg

qysynGk.jpg

EdIegwP.jpg

wPPGuc0.jpg

1kTdAZN.jpg

zE9vwwy.jpg

owxqjKq.jpg

k0IOaOO.jpg

lhEkxzB.jpg

VotsUG7.jpg

zqa1xbX.jpg

We're going to call this my interpretation of Porsche's Slate Grey (6801)

Bn6EoN8.jpg

Js6oAlz.jpg

Gh4KDAo.jpg

dTy5edH.jpg

OzzTPEc.jpg

gqxDMOn.jpg

And here's where Ken's super 2002 skills come together. 

4spd rebuilt: 

BL0pz6W.jpg

Beautiful new headliner with factory fabric: 

0FWEhEd.jpg

Engine tested on his awesome stand: 

dC1qdm3.jpg

Engine populated and carbs synced: 

P5iY45o.jpg

There's still plenty left to do! I'll update as time permits. Here she is as of now. 

GRWHDn5.jpg

Beautiful... 

P.S... Something I'm working on that I think will be pretty cool: 

DOlzxQ9.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun continues...

Ken agreed to get the car driving so I could turn some wrenches on it. Having a blast!

Again photos will do the talking:

Prepped the garage/nursery.

gO4OvMd.png

And she's home! Didn't take a photo right after getting it home, but that night I installed some front seats, bluedevil seat belts, rear trim, rear bumper, roundel, and 2002 emblem.

zeNmQ5Q.png

LED headlight bulbs and Cibie housings! Need some adjustment, but this is just a science experiment for now. Glare is TBD. They're bright though!

sywNcgu.png

zO3DSEC.png

WPZvPRd.png

Console looks cool.

P1u95uK.png

Tried my hand at dying the vinyl armrests. Came out great. Retained the texture and look like they'll hold up well. From blue to black.

5gH4qa5.png

I forget the gentleman's name, but upgraded ebrake handle hardware. You see my ebrake has had a rough life. It's solid, so we'll leave it alone for now.

u8w9JcG.png

Bumpers cleaning up nice. Mirror polish!

DXixIX8.png

Front roundel installed and she's ready for some driving!

axyZSm5.png

Early morning drive to work.

aklOcrm.png

Just a little hooning about.

0J8XHgk.png

I've racked up at least 200 miles. Any excuse is good enough to take a drive. It's running a bit rich, but just barely. Sounds great, feels great, smells great! Throttle response is instant and power is plentiful. Tried to take a quick exhaust clip... didn't go as planned. ha! Too busy then to retake.

https://youtu.be/rTL-MUULdWw

Belt line trim on the way and I'll be installing a carpet set when I can get some time. More to come!

Well... My excuses for not having the iPad console fully installed as per plan are plentiful (need to install amp, want to build hidden speaker enclosure in console, waiting on carpet, I broke my 30-pin apple pass-through pcb, the car is stripped ATM and way too loud to justify having a audio system, etc, etc), but I won't waste your time with those. 

The console is OE, sourced here on the FAQ. I sourced the cnc iPad 2 sleeve from some folks in MI. I fabricated a neodymium magnet mounting solution to make the iPad removable. Sourced an Apple 30-pin pass-through to allow connection to an iSimple RCA to Apple 30-Pin connector with 3.5mm aux and charging capability. Still working on all the pieces, but the idea is I'd also fabricate a hidden speaker enclosure behind the iPad; making use of the volume between the heater box and the front of the console.

Some pictures to make sense of my jibberish...

iPad 2 and AL sleeve. 

ZXzWaUr.jpg

Neo magnets aligned on sleeve and AL brackets. 

iXnTClJ.jpg

Some paint and everything mounted in console. 

DOlzxQ9.jpg

Bottom of sleeve to show PCB/ipad connector. 

5tR3bz3.png

I think this will be awesome. Ultimately its function is to run a simple audio system, but navigation, GPS speedo, and data logging are possible. They sky's the limit! 

Front bumper mostly installed. I'll have to get better photos of the new reproduction (ebay) bumperettes. Fit is slightly off, but they look great otherwise.

I dropped the bumper bracket carriage bolts into the frame at least 20 times... Kicked my butt! But the worst part is I did not notice the missing hole in the drivers side fender! I'll have to drill the hole to mount the bumper correctly. Hope I don't crack the paint...

Getting closer.

PbJ0oKf.png

How are those LED headlights? Most of the ones that I see online are 6500K, which seems a little blue-ish. How do yours feel?

The lights are listed as 5700k. Having owned a number of aftermarket HID kits from 4300-6500K and both my current daily drivers having OEM HID's I'd say they're pretty darn close to 5000K (daylight).  Still to be determined is the amount of glare produced by these lights. I have not had time to adjust/test. One thing to note -They put a lot of light in the foreground which may be a bad thing.... still need to adjust. 

Actually Ken Blasko sourced the e-brake kit. I thought the name was Bill Williams. Either way the link you give looks like the right parts. 

Archived