God awful squaling at idle..

Nesset127

So Making this short and sweet but there's a terrible squealing at idle on my car. Sounds like it's by the head or alt' but there's also a clunking in the transmission on acceleration on left hand turns... Not too sure what's up but replacing the alt belt will be first up on the list. Busy so I can't explain exactly what's up but I will post back soon.

-Nesset

And while you're checking the alternator/water pump belt...

take a close look at the belt's path from water pump to alternator.  Chances are very good that it's a bit crooked.  The alternator is mounted on rubber bushings to isolate it from engine vibrations.  The OEM black rubber bushings turn into black goo over the years, and allow the alternator to slip out of alignment with the water pump and crankshaft pulleys.  That'll cause premature belt wear and....squeal..

The best solution is to get some urethane alternator bushings and install same.  Pretty easy job, and the urethane bushings are long-lived.  Mine have been going strong since the mid-late 80s...

cheers

mike

• 1 month later...

Huge bump incoming! So the motor mounts were indeed broken, replaced and all is well. The squealing went away for a while, and now is back louder and more embarrassing than ever. I loosened the alt' and tightened the belt up. Seems louder... Hmmm. Ordering new alt bushings and buying a belt after I get out of school. On top of that, the "idiot light" for an alt' failure is going off. Clearly belt slipping. Will report back when I get everything swapped out. I've read that Webber 32/36's can squeal quite a lot too.. Is this true..??

Edit: I should also add that the noise is only when it's warm.. Which I found rather odd. I can drive like a grandma around town all day and nothing. But the moment I go over 4k rpm all I hear is an angry 8 year old screaming from the engine bay...

Second edit (lol): The belt is indeed very crooked.. Hence the new alt bushings I am ordering. Hopefully it's up and running before the summer so I can attend some meets finally.. 

Intake manifold gasket leak is a possibility.....only experienced one in my lifetime, but the sound is something one does not forget.....makes a squealing fan belt or bad alt bearing sound like a purring kitten in comparison. Requires specific rpm and intake vacuum to set it off.....but once it starts....!!!!!!!

• 2 years later...

Nesset, I seem to have developed an issue similar to what you described above

On 4/7/2015 at 7:04 PM, Nesset127 said:

Edit: I should also add that the noise is only when it's warm.. Which I found rather odd. I can drive like a grandma around town all day and nothing. But the moment I go over 4k rpm all I hear is an angry 8 year old screaming from the engine bay...

My alternator bushings are intact and I replaced the belt not long ago. Did you ever resolve your issue? Thanks!

Archived