• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator upgrade problem

mickem02

Hi,

I have a problem with my alternator. Its upgraded to a 80amp 318i alternator. I have done all the things that had to be done for the upgrade. But when I start the car the "L" charge light is glowing. What did I do wrong? I have cut the blue D+ cable from the old harness and connected it to the alternator. The B+ cable is a 10mm cable, also the earth cable. The old regulator is gone and the three blue cables that was connected to the regulator is only isolated with some electrical tape. Otherwise nothing else is done.

I have used the search function but have not find anything about this.

Cheers Micke

Photobucket

Well, you could have gotten a bad one... 

I got less than one day out of a new one on my Subaru, before it got so hot I could smell it while driving and all the dash lights started flashing.

I exchanged it and the next one was fine.

It is not likely, but it's possible the one you bought is defective.

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

Just an FYI, my e30 alt will keep the light on until I rev past 1200 rpm...which is what happens naturally when an EFI car first starts.  Now, I could swear that I once read this to be what excites the e30 alt..  the rev to 1200rpm at start up, but I can't find confirmation on this anywhere.  And my own (used) alt has behaved this way since the day I installed it.  Once I rev past 1200, the light goes out and its fine at idle after..?? 

Have I had a bad alt. all along?!

http://spece30.com/forum/16-general-discussion/41515-battery-light-stays-on-until-engine-is-revved

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Well, you learn new things every day! I did not rev my engine at all, just started up the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes. I will rev it next time I start the car, and the light hopefully will go out.

I will report back once I've got some news.

Thanks guys!

Photobucket

• 2 months later...

Problem still remains. I got the old Bosch alternator checked and benchtested. The alternator charge 14,4 Volts. I got the alternator back in with a new belt. Checked the earth between enginge and chassis. I connected a new D+ from the alternator directly to the charginglight cable in the cluster. I have rew past 1500 rpm, but the charging light still glowing.

So, Alternator + regulator are ok, earth ok. I have no ideas left what could be the problem?!

Any ideas??

Regards Micke

Photobucket

You sure the battery is good?

At idle, I had a similar problem, but that was only because the engine builder threw on one of those racing IE alternator pulleys. I promptly bought a 90A replacement alt with standard pulley (rather than just replace the pulley. Don't ask, I was lazy) through Ebay and I never had an issue again. I believe the alternator was something like 134.99 on ebay. A direct replacement unit. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Yeay! Problem solved! Cars running and L light is of. Problem was the new + unit I installed earlier from a Bmw E46. I didn't know the metal part of those where in two pieces. After connecting the two pieces everything worked as planned!

E6095831-BBC0-4716-B09A-3669D6F32150_zps

10555E76-D936-4DFE-ABAA-BA1935BD865F_zps

C100DDF4-60CB-4FB4-B88B-D697AF2C1CA2_zps

Thanks everyone!

Photobucket