Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

POR-15, ZERORUST, or RUSTBULLET?!?

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

panviewsmall.jpg

URL: http://www.winnsecurity.com/norcal02

There are 3 that I know of, POR15 is the general everybodyknowsitbrand, while ZeroRust is cheaper, and has been recommended to me before, and Ive never really heard anything good or bad about rustbullet. Any help or suggestions? I am going to be getting some soon so I can actually do something productive on my car.

Guest Anonymous

seems to last much longer, and I don't know how I got along without it for all the years before I started using it. Great for everything around the house, as well as cars.

Guest Anonymous

I guess it's really all just personal preference.

Matt

Guest Anonymous

Just thought I'd try to help your thread stay on track! 8-)

Guest Anonymous

Justin, as you know I have and do use ZeroRust along with Picklex20 before it. None of the places I have used this have been subjected to the elements except one. several years (at least 3 now) on a rusty basement door. Still is in tact and no signs of letting go. Only thing that has happened is it has no gloss anymore and is getting a little chalky. Both normal. It has no UV protectants in it. You have to put a top coat to get any UV protection. It does not effect the rust encapsulating capabilities. Major pluses for ZR over Por15 and I believe RustBullet is the lack of isocyanates, and easy clean-up.

Best thing is still to clean-up the metal and use a regular paint. I have a lot of ZR leftover since I took most metal to clean blasted condition.

Guest Anonymous

What I have found- I asked a local paint manufacturer about por 15 and he said based on my description (particularly the way taht it hardens) it is most likely a single part epoxy. In his words its just "one step above laquer" in terms of protection. So I went with his recomendation and used a full on 2 part epoxy paint and it is indeed much stronger (my own personal test=hammer.) To top it off the 2 part was cheaper (bought a gallon) and doent cure in the can. Check wiht your local boat paint supply house and see what they have in terms of 2 part epoxy. Its the real stuff and por15 is kinda geared toward folks like ourselves who are not exactly professionals. This guy manufactured boat paints and he knew what he was talking about in terms of long term protection.