• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tank / sender leak?

JohnP_02

I have been reading several posts about exhaust and gas smell, and went to check my trunk seal which I am going to replace, however, when I opened the trunk - even after sitting for two days, I noticed a strong gas smell and upon examination there appears to be a leak of some sort around the sender. The whole fuel system is box stock, except for a new fuel line I just had placed. Everything else looks good to me. BTW - I am a safety freak - I am NOT driving the car right now, especially until I get this resolved and a new trunk seal placed to keep the exhaust out.

I know there is an O ring between the tank and sender, any thoughts on if this should take care of that. What else should I replace/repair?

Thanks, John

post-48194-0-61134300-1424367492_thumb.j

post-48194-0-91909800-1424367496_thumb.j

post-48194-0-35361800-1424367500_thumb.j

1976 2002 Fjordblau (currently Verona, 3rd owner)

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

Too many steering wheels

Thanks. No, the cloth fuel line from the sender is not new - so I guess I need to replace that. I will make sure I get the small spacer on the sender tube that you mentioned as well. 

So, needs: 1) o-ring, 2) new line from sender, 3) spacer.

Am I missing anything?

Too many steering wheels

What about the fuel intake? These rubber funnels get cracky within the years. And even if they are not, the smell can get into the trunk passing between the funnel and the intake flange. The ring held by the four screws around is not that stiff and doesn't press the funnel to the flange airtightly.

Furhter, it might be leaky between the flange and the sidewall.

Try to knead it to look for cracks, replace if yes and add some sealing.

Henning

I would go ahead and order the o-ring, but I'll bet the problem is in the old lines.  The plastic spacer should stay on the outlet tube of the sender.  You can pull the old line off a little bit to see if it is under there.  You could also be sucking air there, if the line or spacer are cracked.  Good that you caught it.

Great info guys thanks! But still a few questions about parts:

What size BMW hose clamp?

and what is the correct fuel line hose size (6mm x 12 mm?) and length I will need?

and where could I get the plastic spacer from? 

Hen, are talking about the Fuel Tank Filler Pipe Gasket?

Edited by JnPnut

Too many steering wheels

Blunttech can get whatever BMW parts are available.  I am not sure whether the plastic sleeve 'spacer' is available separately.  You could look and see if you even need one, by pulling the hose almost off.

I believe, based on his description, that Henning is referring to the tank filler assembly, which is worth inspecting as well.

The wetness at the end of that cloth fuel line suggests that it is the problem.  I believe standard 5/16" fuel line will work there and you can re-use that hose clamp if it is not chewed up.  Just do not reef on it until the rubber squishes out.  btdt.

Order the parts and make it all new, if it makes you feel better.  Nothing wrong with that!  Steve at Blunttech can send you everything you need.  

If it was me, I would go to NAPA and buy some fuel line and put it in and most likely be done with it.  That is what I did, in fact.  No leaks here, though a PO did replace my tank and most likely the o-ring as well.

Yeah! Found:

post-42081-0-03470700-1424375939_thumb.p

The spacer's number is 62 16 1 350 285. 1,38€ at this second, tomorrow it'll be probably more. In 99% of cases it's broken, but this can't cause that bad smell.

Then here's the filler (68€!!):

post-42081-0-66391100-1424376072_thumb.p

Your car has got the version on the right. The seal you have shown is made of a kind of paper, but I've learned that it's not enough and I always applied some Hylomar or such to make sure it's really tight.

You should replace: hoses 8mm not clothed, clamps (cheap), spacer, if not installed, O-ring for the sender, the filler if cracky and some sealing compound if you want to replace the filler. Then you should have peace.

Hen

Edited by Henning

Got it, parts are on the way! There is a spacer there but I ordered a new one anyway.

The filler is in good shape, dry and seals look good - so I am not messing with that. 

So as far as the installation (since I am a complete noob) is changing out these fuel lines difficult? Any tips or things to looks out for? Should I just change out the line from the sender or the return (?) also?

Edited by JnPnut

Too many steering wheels

Ok, so I ordered the parts from Blunt:

6mm fuel line

8mm fuel line

sending unit o ring

spacer

So, blunt said on the phone there is a "fire line" that I should replace and that is one of the hoses he sent. Is that the 6 or 8mm hose and which one come from the sender? The diagram is not very clear or I am a little dumb.

Edited by JnPnut

Too many steering wheels

Hm...

As far as I know, there aren't any 6mm hoses at the fuel tank, only 8mm (except tii). Since the sender pipe is 6mm, it has the sleeve to increase it to 8mm. The plastic line running inside the cabin to the firewall is 8mm, the one coming from the car's underground is 8mm.

So I don't know where to hire a fireman...

I do not understand the terminology, but the lines that go to and from the expansion tank (#5 below) are 6mm.  Perhaps he was referring to those.  

The plastic line used appears to be the same material as the plastic line that runs through the cabin.  It collapses in contact with flame, sealing off the fuel... in theory.

26.png