• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to decide on what I want to do with engine rebuild:

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

quarterview.jpg

I'm pulling my engine soon to have it rebuilt, and I am trying to figure out exactly what I want done.

Here's what I have decided on:

9.5:1 tii pistons

Lynx 40 DCOE single sidedraft setup

With that in mind, what other improvements would be a good idea? This will be a daily driver, though I don't mind trading a little impracticality for some performance.

Porting and polishing the head? Would I get $400 worth of performance from this? Could the money be spent better elsewhere?

Would it be a waste to have a higher compression engine with more carb without going to a longer duration cam? I'd prefer to have a decent idle. Regrind or Schrick and at what duration?

Would I need an electric fuel pump? I'd prefer to keep the mechanical one for simplicity's sake if it is possible.

-Matt

Guest Anonymous

..on power is directly related to the suspension and handling. If you plan on keeping the rest of the car stock (or as stock as it looks) I wouldn't get to carried away with more power. If you get it up to tii hp (135 or so), you'd have plenty of fun and still be dependable. I think you'd be close with what you already listed plus maybe a mild cam.

Guest Anonymous

that I have replaced the springs with eibach prokit, and the shocks with Bilstien HD's. I will be replacing the 30 year old worn out rubber with urethane bushings.

Guest Anonymous

I have forged pistons, 9.8 CR. Very happy. The

engine was built by TEP, I have 30000 miles on it

and no problems...w forged pistons you use more

oil.

It's easy to change cams later, hard and $$ to

change pistons. In the end there is no replacement

for compression. Given a choice take the highest

CR you can live with.

Guest Anonymous

..purchase a reground or new cam, grind the valves, and replace all the remaining hardware in the head. You'll notice a big change in performance with more compression, a change to a performance cam, and carefully balacing of the engine (balance each end of the rods as well as the total weight of the rods). With a stock flywheel, the car should not idle too rough with either a 284 or 292 camshaft. Lastly, take a look at how the intake and exh. manifolds' openings match the openings of the head. Use a tii exh. manifold, if you don't already have one. Ireland Engineering can grind a cam for you for a reasonable price. They can provide some advice as well.