I've been waiting to install the catch can I bought for some time. I picked this one up from eBay. I wanted something clean and effective, not boy-racer. I did not want one with a sight glass or hose along the outside.

post-39742-0-86576800-1424285369_thumb.j post-39742-0-39262300-1424285430_thumb.j

post-39742-0-89811300-1424286280_thumb.jpost-39742-0-31551600-1424286317_thumb.j

This catch can was small, clean and simple. A small dipstick is used to check the level of accumulated fluid. The entire assembly is machined out of aluminum.

I switch between a single downdraft and dual side draft carbs so placement is a concern. I orginally mounted the can on the firewall behind the head next to the distributor. I realized after mounting the can, the oil pressure sender I plan to install in the near future would interfere.

I have now mounted the can behind the brake booster next to the wiper fluid reservoir.

post-39742-0-08625600-1424287982_thumb.jpost-39742-0-65769000-1424288027_thumb.j

I fabricated the mounting bracket using CAD (Cardboard Aided Design)

post-39742-0-50892300-1424288136_thumb.jpost-39742-0-53109100-1424288159_thumb.j

post-39742-0-16365400-1424288188_thumb.jpost-39742-0-73890900-1424288225_thumb.j

Edited by jdeitch

That's sexy.

i did find that the design of the catch can may cause the motor to pump oil out,

so you might be ready to modify your hose routing and the breather design.

On mine, if the hose had a saddle in it, it would puke oil like crazy.

If I put a filter on the catch can, it would puke oil like crazy.

If there was a restriction (small fitting, in this case) between the can

and the motor, it'd puke oil like crazy.

If there was a restriction on the BREATHER end, it wouldn't puke any oil at all.

This all leads me to suspect that there's quite a bit going on with the breather...

heh

t

• Like 2

I like the design and build of that can. You have a ebay link?

I bought a decent looking can off fleaBay last year but was not too impressed. Some of the fittings had reduced I.D. and like Toby says, any restriction caused puking.  I went back to routing the breather hose out the bottom of the engine bay and attached a small breather element.  Not glamorous, but works...  I'd rather catch the oil if I can, though. 

How will you attach a breather to this can?

Ed Z

I like the design and build of that can. You have a ebay link?

I bought a decent looking can off fleaBay last year but was not too impressed. Some of the fittings had reduced I.D. and like Toby says, any restriction caused puking.  I went back to routing the breather hose out the bottom of the engine bay and attached a small breather element.  Not glamorous, but works...  I'd rather catch the oil if I can, though. 

How will you attach a breather to this can?

Ed Z

eBay link

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111361029651

I plan on routing the output to the air cleaner. Theoretically all the liquid will stay in the can and the gasses will be routed back into the engine.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 2/19/2015 at 10:44 AM, Greg_Tchilinguirian said:

1d4a1e2158982a716cbc3b67d56b82a4.jpg

I've been working on a scalable 3d printed can with a baffle for a little while now. I found plastic that matches the yellowed nylon pretty well. The goal is put it where the washer bottle is mounted on the thermal reactor cars and have it look like it belongs there.

Greg, you ever get anywhere with this?

Toby, Zinz, et al.,

According to you guys and the always-reliable, always-documented comments on the internet, "restrictions" in a catch can system are important.  Please school me re: "restrictions" and oil puke.  Which restrictions - at valve cover, at can IN, at can OUT, within can, with which hoses?  Puke where?  

Larry

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2002#3 said:

"restrictions"

I think there is a reliability breakdown here (blind leading the blind thing).

A fresh engine has a small amount of blowby gasses, so the valve cover internal shield collects most of the oil droplets that have been created from oil thrashing.  The more worn the engine, the more blowby flow and soon is overcomes the puny built in separator and exit the engine vent (S14 valve cover separator extends the length of the cover).

A catch can needs to be a design the slows down the blowby gas/oil velocity and swirl the incoming oil mist containing gas.   The oil is heaver than the gas so centrifugal force in the swirl pattern drives the oil to the outer wall of the can, i.e. is a cyclone separator.  The can should have baffles that for the oil to impinge upon and collect to form droplets large enough to drain to the bottom "catch reservoir.

Alternately instead of a centrifugal cyclone design, the can could have screens or other non-absorbent material for the oil to collect on such as a metal pot scrubber mesh.

There can't be "restrictions" in the vent/can or the crankcase pressure will increase and oil seeps out the seals from the gas pressure.

It seems group ignorance created the term "restrictions"

Edited by jimk
added the pot scrubber
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, jimk said:

There can't be "restrictions" in the vent/can or the crankcase pressure will increase and oil seeps out the seals from the gas pressure.

It seems group ignorance created the term "restrictions"

Forgive my ignorance, but why do you suppose they put this restriction in the end of the breather tube on the stock air cleaner?

IMG_9101.JPG

I figger it is to turn it into a nozzle that helps mistify (mystify?) the blow by, before it gets suckt through the intake. 

The opening is necked down to about an quarter of an inch.  That's not a lot of millimeters.

Tom

• 10 months later...
On 8/22/2021 at 10:16 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

why do you suppose they put this restriction in the end of the breather tube on the stock air cleaner?

Tom,

Did anyone provide an answer to your question?

There is also a restriction on the valve cover exit spigot. And there is a small vacuum tap on the connection pipe under the air cleaner that is supposed to go to the center manifold vacuum tap (under the phenolic spacer).

Just wondering as I ponder an oil catch can.

John

Nope.  The thread ended with my post, so I'm still ignorunt.  

I connected the fuel tank breather line to the little nipple coming off of the air cleaner's valve cover breather tube. 

I cannot afford to be venting those precious fumes into the atmosphere.  I paid for them and so I'm going to burn them! 

I don't have the charcoal canister.  It was removed by a previous owner.  I am the owner who removed the plastic expansion tank that hung under the rear parcel shelf.  I just ran the vent line straight to the air cleaner.

No oil catch can for me.  I just wipe the underside of the air cleaner lid once in a while and then use that rag to shine up the valve cover.  

• Like 2