• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Effect of mods on value

deschodt

Thought I posted about this but cannot find the post, I must have fumbled the "enter" key.. 

I was wondering about the impact of mods on values in the 2002 universe. I come from the Porsche world and aside from some R-gruppe stuff, deviation from stock is generally a bad thing for resale. A porsche 356 friend was making the argument that the mods on my 2002 were worth nothing, in fact reducing the car's value. I disagreed based on the mods I did, which I think are pretty popular... The car is a 73 (not Tii).

It has a tropical radiator, EFI with a DTA computer (more power, better start, better mpg), 5 speed box, E30 M3 LSD gears inside, Recaro seats and bigger brakes (from a later model , forgot). From the outside, aside from the wheels (and soon shorter euro rear bumper)you could not tell it's not bone stock. Would you say those mods make my car worth less than a bone stock 73?  Don't care either way, it's not for sale, just curious because I'd have paid more for a car that came like that (esp the LSD, lots of fun). 

Edited by deschodt

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

I know I would pay more for your car than a stock one in the same condition. I think it really depends on the buyer, if they're looking for something fun to drive or something original. I think 02s have a good mixed market as far as both types of buyers. Personally I like to view cars as something to enjoy rather than an investment, but that's just me

Slightly different situation, but I recently bought an E30 318is--which is becoming a cult car, a more modern 2002--that looks completely stock on the outside but has all sorts of cool performance mods that don't show:  engine chip, short shift, lowering springs and Bilstein sports, urethane suspension bushings, larger sway bars etc.  Much better performance than stock and non of the mods show unless you look through the wheels and see the slotted/drilled rotors.  

I would think that for a car like a 2002 that's meant to be enjoyed as a driver rather than a show queen that's trailed to concourses,well thought out, not visible mods that improve the car's performance will appeal to a buyer who wants to enjoy driving a 2002-but not to one who wants a completely stock show car...However, both buyers exist.

It's your car; don't build it for someone else, build it for yourself.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

like mike said, ignore what people say about how much it is worth.  mod it, drive it, enjoy it.  it is not a painting you hang on the wall, look at and and hope it appreciates.  it is a car.  meant to be used up with a big grin on your face.

your 365 friend needs to stick wth 356's....but even those vary...i saw two of them last week in San Diego.  one was a clapped out original condition car driving down I-15 during rush hour.  the other was a beautiful visually modified one with the distinct sound of a supercharger coming from the engine driving through downtown SD.  same value?  i doubt it, but both drivers looked like they were having a BLAST!   :D

sounds like you have a nice set of mods done.

i am going to  guess that unless you have a seriously modified rear subframe, you do not have M3 diff gears.  E30 M3's use "medium" gearsets and LSD's.  medium gearsets/LSD's do not fit in a 2002 or 320 diff case......you may have 4.10 ratio like an M3 would have, but not from an M3.....

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

I agree: different mods, different buyers.

Concerning the eventual sale of the car: who knows what the tomorrow day will bring? Everybody can find himself in the situation that forces him to sell his car, and then it will be better it's not modified too heavily. Everything that can be reversed (other M10-engine, wheels, seats, silencers and so on) doesn't matter. But if a 2002 does look like this:

post-42081-0-80229400-1424219926_thumb.j

it will probably not be easy to find someone who loves this car in exact this condition.

I have done quite a lot of mods to my car, too, but I will never add flares, a glass roof or such. For years now I'm thinking about adding an Alpina-style front air dam, but I'm frightened about drilling holes into the front nose.

Driving a Benz SL, you think: it's ok like this. Driving an 02, you feel immediately: this vehicle can do much more. So, do as much mods as you like to your car, but think very carefully about modifying the body.

Hen

356's are worth anywhere from 40 to 150k - when our cars get into that range we may be thinking twice about the effects of "upgrades" to our cars.  Until then - have fun

Jeff

74tii with 5 speed,  power windows, power steering, euro bumpers and a great stereo - yahoo - I love it

Edited by willys

If I happen to stumble on to a 67 1600 barn find, I would keep it stock. I happen to own a square tail light 02 so there's nothing unique about a square tail light car. I modified my 74 tii to my desires, diving board bumper conv, 5-speed, LSD, suspension upgrades, E21 Recaro seats, 15" wheels, etc...  you get the idea. These upgrades added value to the car IMHO and I would desire these upgrades in any future 02 if I were in the market for another one. I've also been on the other end of this equation. I owned a 70 Euro spec E3 2800 (built DEC 69) so it was in the first year of E3 production. I kept it stock except for a Nardi steering wheel and Abarth exhaust system (both period correct). I passed on installing a getrag 265 5 speed gearbox since the car was such a time warp.

http://www.coupeking.com/listings/2800-bavaria-e3/

I believe in tasteful upgrades but I would not be in the market for an 02 with flared fenders or one that is significantly lowered (stanceworks) but that's just me.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

As mentioned above, buy one to enjoy it, not just look at it.  There are many purists out there who cringe at modifying any old vehicle but there was a time when most vehicles were just considered inferior used cars.  Just look at the current market for the first generation Ford Broncos.  They are very difficult to find bone stock - many owners cut the rear fenders and added flares to accept larger wheels/tires and swapped larger V8 engines in them. The rare stock Broncos are selling for very high prices now.

On the 2002 front, I've made some changes to my tii that I feel improve how it drives, handles and rides.  Everything I've done can be easily reversed but it will never be 100% stock since a PO resprayed it the incorrect color.  I love the color as it is and will never change it.   The color change on the 69 from (somewhat rare) Nevada to Riviera was a joint decision that I made.  No - it's not a ti or tii but it's something I will be able to enjoy once it is complete.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Eventually, with time and scarcity, the 2002 will be valued for it's intrinsic value as a breakthrough automobile and as the savior of the BMW marque.  Until that day comes, (and come it will), people will be hot rodding and modding out 2002's for their personal edification.  Those cars will be worth considerably less than original models, except to the one specific buyer who appreciates an idiosyncratically modified car.  

1970 Atlantikblau 

'11 135i "The Red Rocket"
'13 F10 M 

'07 Carrera GT3 "The Flying Banana"

Depends on the car. My square light 76 is lowered, hopped up, and stiffened up. But nothing that's irreversible, yet still a hell of a lot more fun to me. Then there's my newly acquired 73 Tii that's going to stay box stock because of what it is. I think it depends on the car and how much you want to "mod" it. Upgrades you'll never make money on, but they'll command more a lot of the time.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

The car market is like the stock market, sometimes one sector is more favorable than another("barn find", restored stock, modified, etc. etc.), there are bulls and bears. Values just depend on what's "in" at the moment.

mac.

Its sad to me that values are effecting mods.  Something that is at the heart of the 2002 popularity.

But as with any car, customization makes the car personalized.  Drastic customization limits your market at resale drastically.  Tasteful mods are the key. Tasteful, traditional, and reversible mods.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Depends on the car. My square light 76 is lowered, hopped up, and stiffened up. But nothing that's irreversible, yet still a hell of a lot more fun to me. Then there's my newly acquired 73 Tii that's going to stay box stock because of what it is. I think it depends on the car and how much you want to "mod" it. Upgrades you'll never make money on, but they'll command more a lot of the time.

Did someone say "chopped" or was that hopped?

Fun factor is all that matters really. I heard from many a critic on this site when I did this to my car(s) I did it twice. Just ask Esty about fun, she now owns the black one. Once the money issue comes into play things get all out of hand with the bottom feeders listing parts for sale; no prices, just want you to contact them so the price up-bidding process can begin. Seeing this crap all over here in the Bay Area. Likely in your area too. Popularity breeds greed.

But what do I know.

post-33884-0-52043300-1424277556_thumb.j

post-33884-0-13150300-1424277601_thumb.j

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

The car market is like the stock market, sometimes one sector is more favorable than another("barn find", restored stock, modified, etc. etc.), there are bulls and bears. Values just depend on what's "in" at the moment.

mac.

I agree with this.  I also agree with those that say it is your car "do with it what you will, paint it purple, put on chrome "22's"....whatever floats your boat. It is your car, do with it what you will and enjoy it.  The caveat to that is though if the day comes when you need to move on from the car don't go into shock when folks aren't flocking to buy it OR you get offers well below what the car would be without the mods.  As previously stated here, the more outside the box you get, generally speaking the fewer in the market you are appealing to - unmodified and or lightly modified (suspension/brakes etc.,) are going to have a much wider interest (this at least is my observation of the market in the recent past....).

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com