AC Install

1972-2002

So I have the pieces to install an AC system in my 72. I do have a couple of questions that I couldn't find an answer to in archeives. I have a new aluminum radiator from IE that I plan on installing but I think I will have to remove the stock fan to fit it in. then I have to install the condenser. do I put an electric fan between the radiator and condenser or somewhere else. I just am not sure how to do this.

garry

The electric auxiliary fan goes in front of the A/C condenser. There are a few owners who have completely replaced the stock, mechanical fan, making the auxiliary fan the primary fan; I'm not certain how to access that info on the forum but it may be under "electric fan" or something similar. There is not a great deal of space with A/C. I gather you are not using a Behr A/C condenser, which is considerably thicker than modern condensers as well as the Clardy unit. The Behr condenser would further limit your options due to its thickness. The smaller the diameter of the fan, the thicker it can be (due to the pointy front of the car's nosepiece). The original Clardy (first photo) and Behr (second photo) fans are 10" in diameter, but are both fairly thick. I can't imagine either of these would be sufficiently large as a primary fan. You can probably find a considerably larger diameter fan, thinner in profile, today.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-58753500-1424018036_thumb.j

post-41123-0-81001400-1424018148_thumb.j

^ Finding the right size condensor is a tough because the support bar in the nose mean either getting a really small condensor or cutting the support bars. 

This is the smallest condensor i can find and based on some rough measurements should fit inbetween the support bars without cutting.

http://nostalgicac.com/10-x-18-superflow-r-134a-condenser.html

Also available on Ebay for $55

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNIVERSAL-CONDENSER-PARALLEL-FLOW-4-PASSES-ALUMINUM-O-RING-6-8-/351152976533?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item51c2593295&vxp=mtr

If you're going to purchase a parallel flow condenser like those above, the 10"x18" is about the best (largest) size you can fit in the nose without chopping or modifying. Worked well for me and an aftermarket (Spal, or other brand) fan is perfect. Both allowing more clearance and being more efficient.

Archived