TurkisM2002

Earl's oil cooler setup questions

6 posts / 1025 viewsLast Reply

I am planning on installing an Earl's oil cooler as part of my M20 swap project and I've see some folks mount the unit in front and between the vertical nose supports and behind the driver's head lamp.  I'm curious to know a few things:

1. What size earl's oil cooler have folks run? 

2. Easier versus optimal location to mount? If it'll work, I like the idea of running in front of the rad/fan. I ended up cutting the nose to fit a Scirocco rad as far forward of the engine bay as possible. Elec fan is mounted directly to rad.

3. Do I need to run a remote filter setup or can I stick with the stock setup?

Thanks 

I used an Earls 8x8 and mounted it at a slight angle just to the side of the headlight. Basically square with the angle of the nose. A slight angle will also give you a minor cooling advantage as you have more air  contacting fin surface but I suspect its minimal  . I was running AC and there was no room in front of Rad with ac condenser and electric fan. You dont need to run a remote filter but could. I did it to allow a larger taller oil filter but I had an s14

Thanks Blunt for the third location suggestion. That's not bad actually.    I see the oil coolers come with different size fittings. What does your cooler have, 10AN?   I'm wondering what adapters/fittings I'll need to make this work. I'm not quite sure how to adapt the -10AN to whatever size is on the engine/oil filter mount.

Thanks

Edited by chrisracer79

Pull your oil head off the M20 and get your Earls cooler. Take both to a hydraulic hose place.  Ive done the braided stainless lines in the past and they look nice  BUT Im more into function now and you can get custom lines made up cheaply at a hose place with the correct ends

What I did (Its crude but works) Take coat hangers and fabricate the shape of your lines. Take those to the hose shop and talk nicely to the guy in the back. If youre half as charming as me youll walk out with some nice black hi pressure lines that are a direct fit

When I did the cooler for the E30 race car, I brazed AN-10 ends onto the stock hardlines where they come

out of the oil thermostat head.  Then you're home free, and can do whatever you want in AN.

There IS an adaptor you can use, but it leaves you in AN right out of the thermostat head,

and the braided hose ends up pretty close to the header/manifold.  The stock lines are hard

for a few inches, and that seemed more durable.

Also, look at rotating the thermostat head, if you're not using AC.  That gets the filter

out from under the header/manifold, and leaves the lines in a good place, too.

As to how much cooler- you don't need much, unless you're in a really hot

area OR racing hard.  

hth

t

There IS an adaptor you can use, but it leaves you in AN right out of the thermostat head,

and the braided hose ends up pretty close to the header/manifold.  The stock lines are hard

for a few inches, and that seemed more durable.

You can make your own hard lines if you find it ends up being easier. Get the appropriate sized tubing, a 37* flare tool, some tube nuts and tube sleeves and you'll have an AN hard line. 

Jay