hesitation when revving up

Cromagnon

Hi everybody.

I cleaned the Solex 36-40 of my 1971 '02, changed gaskets and jets, and the performace is very good, except that quite often when I push the thorttle the engine has an hesitation, a cough and then revs up normally up to the red line.

Spark plugs and air filter are also new, and valve clearence revised and adjusted. In the carb the shafts have no end play.

It has been many years since my last gasoline car, by the way another BMW 320 E21 that I bought brand new, and ever since I had and still have Diesel and turbo Diesel cars.

Something that catched my attention is that the amount of gasoline injected by the pump seems to be too much, but I found no way of adjusting.

Any advice?

Thanks in advace for your cooperation.

Santiago

Hi pals.

Answering one by one:

I never checked the point (don't have the lamp) and I also have a hunch that is a bit retarded. Cap and rotor are fine and gap also is OK. Also checked the capacitors for leaks and capacitance, and both are OK. The ignition is the original one.

Pump and mixture screw seems to be OK, mixture adjusted for max rpm at idle. The pump seems to be drawing too much fuel. I will check the size of the output hole that could be eroded.

Yes, I changed the jets but supposedly not the size. Anyway I will check the idle jet size with my needle gauge.

I checked for vacuum leaks and everything seems fine.

I'll run these checks perhaps today and be back with the results.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers 

Santiago

Well pals. After several days with no action on my '02 finally this Sunday I timed the dizzy in the "italian way", and it seems that the hesitation stopped. 

What was for sure is that the timing was retarded a lot. 

I'll have a second ride perhaps tonight and see if the hesitation is gone forever.

Thanks to you all that added your experience to help me solve this issue.

Cheers

Santiago

Archived