AWD Mod for a 2002

joseph08

If money is no object, then, of course, anything is possible.   :)

BMW built the E30 325ix from about 1986-91, in very limited numbers.  It was relatively expensive.  At the time, the retail price was just slightly below the famous E30 M3 with the S14 engine.  

The front end geometry was completely different from the other E30s, to accommodate the AWD system.  You cannot swap the 325ix AWD drivetrain into any other E30 without significant modifications to the front end.  For example, the 325ix front shocks/struts are oriented at a completely different angle compared to the regular E30s.  You basically have to weld the entire front end of the ix onto the chassis of a non-ix E30 to make it fit.  

Additionally, the 325ix required a larger tranny tunnel to accommodate the transfer case of the AWD system. 

I would anticipate that a project to convert a 2002 to AWD would involve similar work.  Not  simple swap, by any means.  

I have two E30 325ix.  Brilliant cars, btw, and I am daily driving one at present through this recent New England Blizzard.  It is not known as The Ultimate Snowmobile for no reason.  It is a blast!   ;)  I would love to convert one of my ix to a Baur!   BTW, BMW built 114 E30 325ix Baurs, none of which ever came to the US.  Dashing through the snow in a 170 horse open sleigh.....  would be my dream car!  

One way to do this to a 2002----and this may offend the purists in the audience--- would be to rebody a 325ix with a 2002 body.  Just a thought.  I have no idea if that is even possible, let alone desirable.   :)

Someone in CA did rebody a Mustang/Cobra with a 2002 body.  You may have seen that.  So you never know what is possible.  

One way to do this to a 2002----and this may offend the purists in the audience--- would be to rebody a 325ix with a 2002 body.  Just a thought.  I have no idea if that is even possible, let alone desirable.   :)

I've got a 325ix sitting in my garden just in case I grow old and dumb enough to do this - at €300 for a running car with minor accident damage it had to be done ;-)

I have a friend that's spent years playing around with marrying parts from EA81 and EA82 Subarus.  

I would go visit him and see the engine and tranny swaps, lift kits, power steering "upgrades" in progress.

Those visits would make me feel less intimidated about the basic maintenance I had on my plate.

The ambition and optimism that allowed for such ventures was admirable.

The other thing I came away with was an increased appreciation for what the engineers originally came up with, because a change in ride height, for example, results in a change in steering geometry and the need to "re-engineer" with a mix of parts on hand.

When you are "done" you have a conglomeration of parts and pieces that make for a puzzle nobody else is going to want to own and maintain.

I don't mean to judge him.  He was having fun and making it into what he wanted it to be.  I know he has no regrets, nor intentions of selling his 'hatch Brat' and has more work he intends to do to it.  It is/was a learning process and was all done on a very limited budget.  That is one area he and I see eye to eye on.  "If money's no object" immediately takes it into the hypothetical realm... for us.  Fun does not have to have a fat price tag; which I learned watching him work as well.

+1 for 325ix. Super fun winter driving, less rust prone  - mine is still rust free after many Colorado winters. Excellent defroster front and rear. Seek out unplowed roads and have fun while your 2002 awaits in the garage for 3 season joy. 

And if the snow gets too high, you can always do this:

http://bringatrailer.com/2015/01/29/ultimate-plow-machine-1989-bmw-325ix/

Dieter

Archived