E12 BMC Upgrade - which reservoir sits on top?

TurkisM2002

Hi everyone before I ask, yes I've googled to no end trying to identify which brake fluid reservoir sits on top of the E12 BMC? I have the parts necessary to run the original remote res but I would prefer to run one on top. 

I've gone through ETK  and it looks like an E30 318i sits on top, but don't know if it would fit. 

Thank you

-C

when I did mine I used the factory 2002 reservoir. I do recall having to get different grommets for the top of the master cylinder. http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/60070-for-e12-brake-master-cylinder-users/

Hey JoeJoe - I have the grommets and I could use the original master, but I would prefer to use a res that sits on top of the BMC.  It cleans up the engine bay nicely - plus I'll have room to mount other stuff!

Thanks

Hey Chris,

I get what your saying. If you have the room mounting the reservoir on the BMC itself really does clean up that side of the engine bay (plus the solution is using OEM parts so it's hard to fault).  We've had the race cars running them for several years now.

A couple reservoirs will work, the one I've personally used was the ATE #34321157178 from the E30 318/325.  It is the cheapest compatible piece ($59 oem list as of this morning).  As you're aware (but for posterity) it uses the stock e12/e30 grommets.  The reservoir will then also fit the e21 BMC, e12 BMC, e30 BMC, and the Tii BMC with the proper grommets.

pedalboxfinal10_zps6eabedb8.jpg[/url]

Thanks Andrew - I was thinking the E30 reservoir would fit but was unsure of its dimensions. $180 is a bit much - what are you getting? The E30 one you have looks nice enough. 

I know I have an E30 res somewhere in the house - is it just me or do we horde parts and then can never find them when we need them? I'm sure it'll turn up as soon as I order one. 

Geeom - It's got a larger ID (same as the Tii) that can improve pedal feel if you're running the standard big brake kits (volvo fronts, 250mm drums or rear disks rears).  In a perfect world not dictated by a wife-imposed budget, you'd use the Tii BMC given it has the residual pressure relief valve on it's nose that keeps a couple pounds of pressure in the rear lines to the drums (which helps with pedal travel).  However the E12 BMC option is now a fair amount cheaper and offers most of the same benefits (sans the valve).   Lastly, yes it bolts to the stock (and tii) booster.

Chris the E30 reservoir number I posted above is $59 new right now.  Feel your hoarder pain, I woke up this morning to my one-year-old with a brake line I had been missing in his mouth (it was new and clean, but the Mrs. wasn't thrilled for some reason).

Geeom - It's got a larger ID (same as the Tii) that can improve pedal feel if you're running the standard big brake kits (volvo fronts, 250mm drums or rear disks rears).  In a perfect world not dictated by a wife-imposed budget, you'd use the Tii BMC given it has the residual pressure relief valve on it's nose that keeps a couple pounds of pressure in the rear lines to the drums (which helps with pedal travel).  However the E12 BMC option is now a fair amount cheaper and offers most of the same benefits (sans the valve).   Lastly, yes it bolts to the stock (and tii) booster.

Chris the E30 reservoir number I posted above is $59 new right now.  Feel your hoarder pain, I woke up this morning to my one-year-old with a brake line I had been missing in his mouth (it was new and clean, but the Mrs. wasn't thrilled for some reason).

I'm laughing out loud right now. My youngest has done the same thing too. Overtime they walk into the garage they ask me if the car is done. $!@#$. I'm sure you know what its like having a young one now. I've got a 20 month and a 4 year old and finding the time is nigh impossible. Late nights if anything, unless the wife takes the kids to target and I get an hour free. Anyway, I digress..

so is there a "safety" issue with not having the valve? I thought I read somewhere one could use an inline valve.

Archived