Need paint removed...

arminyack

So I pulled out my instrument cluster to replace the guts that are in there back to silver dollar components....and noticed my housing is (what I believe) an early model, all chrome plastic unit...that some previous owner painted the face of black.  Does anyone know of a safe method of removing the black paint that wont melt the plastic nor harm the chrome plate on the plastic?

IMAG1039_zps8c03f45c.jpg

IMAG1040_zps7955759d.jpg

Sorry man, I'd think you could remove it with a stripper (paint, not pole) and not damage the plastic. If you don't want to try that and yours is cracked (might just be the way the picture is) then I have a couple sitting around you could have for shipping cost.

yeah, I think anything aggressive enough to remove dried paint will also remove the chrome 'plating' paint.

Or worse, damage the plastic.

I find that 'wax and grease' remover is about the mildest solvent that might do anything.

You could also try commercial things like windex- but products such as 'goof- off' will probably kill the chrome, too.

Heat?

Soda blasting?

Space rays?

t

yeah, I think anything aggressive enough to remove dried paint will also remove the chrome 'plating' paint.

Or worse, damage the plastic.

I find that 'wax and grease' remover is about the mildest solvent that might do anything.

You could also try commercial things like windex- but products such as 'goof- off' will probably kill the chrome, too.

Heat?

Soda blasting?

Space rays?

t

The only things that works so far (without damaging the chrome).....my fingernail. 

Painfully slow.

Archived