• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

temp sensors and cooling fans-help?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

fac93203.jpg

Now I'll show my ignorance and admit that I don't know

everything. Ok-not even a lot of things. I know what I've dealt

with and I've never addressed this area before. What are

these things exactly? Can I jump on to one of them (I'm

thinking the one with 1 black wire) to control a relay for my

electric fan? If not-what is a good way to go. I'm getting sick of

having just a manual on/off for the fan-too risky. tia

Guest Anonymous

Yes you can, I'm running off the sensor with the 2 wires to trigger my fan relay it works fine, my sender is off a 528i to run its aux fan and has a different plug for the wires, I'm not sure what the one in the picture is for but it should have the trigger temp stamped on it. The single wire one is your temp gauge......Marty.....

Guest Anonymous

I checked for voltage at various operating temps off of that

two wire sender. I didn't get voltage at temps I'm comfortable

with. Possible the part is bad? Or maybe my cooling

standards too low. The gauge was at three quarters when I

shut her down. I would rather it didn't climb above 1/2, which

it rarely does while on the roll. I have a 320i radiator that

seems to keep things chilly. Btw-the sender on the 320 rad

never kicks in even though that's wired to the relay too. I

tested that for voltage on warm up-never happened. I only

have to turn on the fan at stops on warm days-a pita. I think I'll

order the 185 sensor/relay kit for electric fans from Summit.

Guest Anonymous

The way the 320i radiator fan switch should operate is to provide ground to the solenoid of the fan relay.

To test the switch start with the engine cold. Connect an ohm meter between the radiator fan switch terminal and ground - should be open. As you warm up the engine, at some point the resistance between the switch and ground should read zero - the switch has closed.

If you find the switch is functional, use it to switch the ground side of your relay solenoid. The solenoid should have battery voltage present but the circuit isn't complete until the radiator fan switch gets hot and closes.

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.geocities.com/johnny_crash2002/JOHNNY.html

I don't remember the name but there is an adjustable set up with a temp sensor that just slides in between the fins of the radiator. You can set it at any temp you want.

It's worked great for almost two years now. Costs about 40.00. No need to change radiator or water neck.

I didn't like how hot it got before it came on with the 320i sensor. Mine is set to come on as soon as it crosses the halfway mark. It's got a bult in relay and an adjustable reostat and a screw hole for a nice neat mounting anywhere you choose. I used an exsisting screw hole in my fender next to my high wattage light relays :)