Missing Getrag 245 output shaft, options?

7602inBrooklyn

I have an opportunity to buy a Getrag 245 (for a good price) that the seller claims was rebuilt 20K ago, and then removed due to the car rusting and not being able to pass inspection. 

The problem is he says that it doesn't have the output shaft or flange (red flag, I know).

Is the output shaft the same as the 4spd 242 transmission in my 76? can I just swap them when I go to do the 5spd conversion? 

I think I saw that trans for sale, the output shaft was broken off in the pic he sent me..he was out in statin island or something...It was pretty cheap but then he stopped replying to me when I was skeptical about the shaft.

+1 to AceAndrew's comment, I would have a pro take a look...wouldn't hurt to know how the inside is too.

If it took a hit hard enough to break off the output shaft that is not the only problem with that gearbox.  You can find a good used gearbox for less that the cost to rebuild that one!!

If it was the same guy, he told me it broke off while installing it in his car.. don't know if it was a 320i or a 02 but yea I'm guessing it was dropped. 

Hope that it shifts nicely and everything goes smooth whether you decide to replace the shaft or go another route.

Was he on ebay a couple weeks ago? Could be a different guy but I think he was asking 150 so thats a pretty good deal if it shifts nice and smooth. With the limited amount of affordable 245's, it would be cool to bring one back to life. I'm in the same process myself, i have a 245 that needs to be freshened up. 

Yea I didn't think that it could break off either but sure enough it was snapped off like a carrot..

I rebuild a lot of 245/10 (close ratio)  gearboxes for the race cars and have done a number of 245/5 (OD) and I would charge min 6 hours to replace a main shaft on a OD box, I'm sure flat rate would be closer to 10.  You have to take it COMPLETLY APART, and then re shim to set the clearances.  New Synchro rings are $75 each and bearings are about $200 for a full set, add another $20 for the seals and your $150 box  is now a $1300 box.  if in the process of breaking off the output shaft they bent the shift rod or damaged the case then all bets are off for time and $$$.  if you really want to do this I have a couple of main shafts laying around and I'll be happy to send you one for just the cost of shipping because I'll never use them. 

Thanks Preyupy, that's a generous offer and I'll take you up on it if I end up with this trans, and it needs a shaft.

From the photos he sent me it looks like the output shaft is there. just no flange, however the shift selector rod is missing. How hard is that to replace? There's no fork, throwout bearing, slave, or flange or shift platform so I'll need those at least. 

I can't seem to get the links to post inline, but here are the pics of the trans: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29635005@N06/16350236041/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29635005@N06/15732029893/

Jgerock what do you mean missing ribs?

I never miss captain morgan. I'm a bourbon drinker.

Jgerock. Just figured out your comment. Haven't used Flickr in years. That was at the 2008 DNC. Captain Morgan loves the democratic process...

I never miss captain morgan. I'm a bourbon drinker.

Jgerock. Haven't used Flickr in years. That was at the 2008 DNC. Captain Morgan loves the democratic process...

Archived