Alloy wheels

Not sure which "correct" alloys you're looking for. Stock?

I didn't reply earlier because it's an overwhelming question. Roundeie provided a suitable transition into an answer. I'm going to assume by "correct" you might mean 13" period rims. But that is a big assumption -- and it could well be wrong. But we've got to start somewhere. First, there were no '02 factory alloy rims, per se, in 1968. The first factory alloy, photo below, was produced generally from '71-'73, although you can still buy them new from BMW (contact, for instance, Steve, user BLUNT) for a reasonable price: under $220. And they look great, particularly on a round taillight car.

But beyond factory alloys, you'd go to the list of aftermarket alloy rims, which themselves were just coming "on line" in '68 and '69. Alpina, BWA, Campagnolo, Cosmic, Cromodora, Mini-lite and Ronal are but a few of the dozens of period aftermarket rim manufacturers (generally after '68).

You also need to think, however, about your budget: are you expecting to spend $50 per rim (I'd suggest 5.5 x 13 early e21 alloys) or are you expecting to spend $600 per rim (for a correctly restored Campagnolo)?

Try some of the above manufacturers' names in the search function (searching on "Forums") and I'll bet you'll come up with lots of information, and photos.

Good luck,

Steve

post-41123-0-72427500-1422040801_thumb.j

excellent reply , I wish this was posted so people could be better informed on wheels and what  is correct.    Bruce m-tuner

We're trying, Bruce, but it's an uphill battle: there is so much mis-information out there, e.g., 2002's came with 15" rims!

By the by, Jerry, m-tuner has quite a selection of correct period rims: they're listed in the Parts for Sale section. Every one I've seen pictured is real!

Good luck and regards,

Steve

We're trying, Bruce, but it's an uphill battle: there is so much mis-information out there, e.g., 2002's came with 15" rims!

By the by, Jerry, m-tuner has quite a selection of correct period rims: they're listed in the Parts for Sale section. Every one I've seen pictured is real!

Good luck and regards,

Steve

LOL.  When mlytle and I joined the local PCA guys for a drive, we started in a shopping center and the P-car youngsters asked why our wheels were so small (I have 14" and Marshall has 15").  One guy looked puzzled when I told him they came stock in 13" diameter.

Archived