rear end problem / concern

mrdew

I rarely post buy I have a general question concerning the half shafts.

I finally got my 02' running pretty awesome but of course she gets moody from time to time. Anyways...

Today I managed to snap off every single bolt holding the cv to the hub. I am not wondering how it happened...I know how it happened and it was a lot of fun until I managed to snap them off.

I was wondering is this a common problem?

245j8fc.jpg

They weren't loose I know that for sure.

I finally got the car running very well and I took the gf out for groceries. I only dumped the clutch once but the car was very tail happy with its new found power.

When it failed all that I did was get on it in a corner the ass end kicked out and then I coasted to a stop. Haha

It just blew my mind that they ALL snapped off and the same time and at the same spot.

They were a bit loose and you were in a low gear.

It's not unheard- of, but you do get the threadless bolt award for the week.

That interface can't take full 1st gear torque from a clutch dump unless it's clamped up to factory spec+

I overtorqued the race car's by 5 when I ran 8mm bolts, and 10 with 10mm bolts.

Never had a problem that way.

t

I do way worse things than that on a daily basis with no issues, so no, its not normal.  I've always known to be very careful with those bolts, since they do back out on other people quite a bit.  Gotta be torqued to factory spec with blue loc-tite.  Make sure threads are clean (or just all new OEM, but you'll have to do that anyways), alternate sides when you're tightening (like you would with lug nuts).  

I've had 'em come loose and fall out more than once (one time as I arrived at work--when I went to leave the car wouldn't go anywhere 'cause all the bolts were gone).  But I've never had 'em break.  Get new bolts of the proper strength and torque 'em to spec--a little Loctite wouldn't hurt either...

Hope you can get the broken off stubs out of the diff flange...you do know that those flanges snap out without too much difficulty so you can work on the broken bolts on the workbench vs under the car.

cheers and happy tinkering

mike

• Administrators

If the bolts were not new, they might have been loose at some point earlier. In those conditions they will weaken and can fail. Under normal conditions, bolts that were never ran loose, should not fail.

I have snapped them in the past, but i usually discovered that at least one was lost prior to the rest snapping.

steve k.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. I had a spare stub axle and got new bolts etc and put her back together!

All went well I put in larger air jets are she ran like a champ...the best that she ever did!

So I took her out for one hell of a joyride and on the way back home the differential blew apart.

I have not pulled the cover off but it feels like I blew more than just the spiders apart.

Archived