Calling Suspension Gurus, GC Spring Rates

GirtAllerton

Calling Suspension Gurus, Getting to the the final phase of my build and need suggestions for my GC Suspension Spring Rates. I've done a massive search and need a little help. Motor for my 72 Inka is almost done with 10.5:1 compression pistons, 292 schrick, ported 121 head with matched IE intake, Twin 40 dcoes, and IE headers and exhaust. I've sourced all new rubber bushings and steering parts from Blunt (who is fantastic) and large 22mm sways Frnt/rear from IE. I need thoughts on the spring rates for a back roads/canyon carver for my order from Ground Control. Tires are 15x7 rotas with bridgestone supersport for winter, yoko s drives summer. 195/55/15. Not stancing but driving.

Gc orginally suggested 250/400 then 225/325 with using IE sways for their kit. Including koni adjustable inserts/shocks. I will be using standard rear perches with the adj collar. Reading Toby's and Myrtles views should I be looking at lighter rear 8" springs? Thinking 250 7" frnts and 225 8" rear? or a 325/300 mix. Thanks for the help...

post-42021-0-90546400-1421870613_thumb.j

post-42021-0-69596100-1421870670_thumb.j

some good gurus here...

GC usually suggests higher rear rates almost always....I bet most vendors would.

Yogis like Marshall, Toe B( I think) etc have found softer rears work better for them......

springs are cheap enough.

Cross country driving?....I think you want 300-325 max.....

id start around 275 ish...work from there......

on going softer rear?...ive not done it..yet......but I think the cars were racer/track set ups.

Yea from Phila, PA. Photo was from the day I bought the car in Cali and drove it home x country in 4 days. Great way to find out if the car has good karma or not. Made it no problems.

I was hoping u were closer...

I once drove a new to me e30 from daytona to NY....great way to see true bones/karma of the ride!!!...yup.

GC seems to be pretty good about recommending the proper rates based on your feedback to them. They suggested 350/400 to me and so far I couldn't be happier. Firm, stable ride but not too stiff (for me). I'm runing ST sways. Here's a pic of my ride height at the moment. Might raise the front up a hair.

O6qTuTN.jpg

250 7" frnts and 225 8" rear

This seems good as a starting place.

I can say for sure that 250 front/400 rear will give you a LOT of tailhappiness.  Yes, that's a pretty balanced WHEEL rate, but

there is a very different suspension dynamic front and rear.  Plus, we're about 57% front weight anyways.

But my experience has been that 325/300 was good, 400/350 was good, and 450/400 worked, too- all with different (pretty stiff) bars.

Your mileage will vary a bit, of course.

t

Beachbum, She looks great. Any rubbing in the front?

Toby, Thanks I was hoping for your view on this. Am I correct that the softer rears springs vs front gives you (for lack of a better term) more compliance and better stability (in the rear) in the twisties? Also considering the larger sways with a little softer springs the ride would be better on ruff roads and daily driving but the sways would control the body roll for more aggressive outings? Mucho Thanks.

I would imagine that somebody has calculated the wheel and motion ratios of the 02 suspension by now. I did a search but found only broken links to a calculator that was on this site. If somebody has that info available, it will be a good starting point for those looking to upgrade their springs. If someone has calculated the rear ratios for stock spring location versus coilover, that would be even better!

Thanks Guys for the help..... Its great being part of a forum that the "Elders" contribute to us new guys and help keep a few more of these rides on the road.

Purchased the GC kit today went with 250 frnt / 225 rear. I will post more when they arrive and the car is on the road.

Cheers

Archived