• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring cleanup….e21 Alternator Upgrade Questions

jrhone

I just did the e21 alternator upgrade and I know it has an internal voltage regulator, so does that mean the external one in the engine bay is not needed anymore?  Can I ditch that?  I only used 1 out of 3 wires from the old alternator, but the voltage regulator has like 5 wires in the plug.   (maybe 3in/3out?)  Can I just remove those wires altogether?  Just gonna clean the wiring up soon.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Based on past history from Curt Ingraham (Oakland), I recently switched to an AL41X, 55 amp internally regulated alternator from the E12 79-81 528i, on my tii engine.

You use the stock mounting bracket, but need more than an inch of spacer to mount it in the bracket.

Since it is internally regulated, you no longer need the externally mounted regulator on the drivers side of the fender. Just unplug and remove it.

At the alternator, remove the harness and fit the blue wire with a female connector and attach to D+ on the alternator. The brown negative wire attaches as it did on the stock unit as does the hot wire.

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

Mike thanks for the reply. I got all that installed already. My question is the plug that USED to be plugged into the voltage regulator and the extra wires that I'm not using going to the alternator can these be removed for a cleaner engine bay?

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

If you open up the wiring harness and trace back the extra wires from the old alternator plug to the voltage regulator you will see what can go.

All you will be left with are the other brown ground wires that used to come into the voltage regulator and which get connected together and then to the nearby body ground; and the blue wire from the alternator that needs to be connected together with the blue wire that came into the regulator (and insulated with a nice length of heat-shrink).

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i