• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Tii on ebay with BIN of $ 35,000 Orange California

gary

On 1/22/2015 at 7:30 PM, JohnS said:

Actually, the 74tii uses a vacuum retard distributor. If you disconnect the vacuum hose, you'll see that the timing will advance quite a bit. I was told by Jeff Schlemmer at Advanced Distributors that the 74tii distributor is almost identical to the Bosch 008 distributor used on the earlier tiis with the added retard device. He said that you can plug off the vacuum tube and then run it just like a 008. I've kept mine stock on my 74tii (retarded) and it works great. If it ain't broke don't fix it

I'm old(er) and would have ordinarily voted with Carl on this issue: many (most?) distributors of the '60s had both centrifugal and vacuum advance: I understood it was a means of advancing the timing under a wider range of engine conditions. But...I decided to look at actual 2002 literature (sales brochures) before opining.

Here's what I found. U.S. 2002's, from early on, are shown as having distributors with centrifugal and vacuum advance. The first photo is from a May 1968 brochure. And although tii's are shown with centrifugal advance only through an early (un-dated) brochure for '74 models (second photo), beginning with the February 1974 brochure (third photo), both non-tii and tii models are shown having a "centrifugal advance and vacuum retard system." This description continues through the U.S. '75-'76 brochures.

Learn something every day!

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-96255300-1421977410_thumb.j

post-41123-0-25574100-1421977428_thumb.j

post-41123-0-04269800-1421977443_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Yes, the retarded distributors are on the later tii for "emissions control", not performance.  The 74tii has a weird vacuum deal set up so that when the car is coasting after you let off the gas, it retards the timing to help with smog I guess.  Later square tail 2002s have a similar "feature". I'm not sure but I think the later 75 & 76 2002s even had two vacuum lines on the distributor (one for advance, one for retard?)

But ... That white '74 for sale looks pretty good, except for that Blue Coil ... I wonder if they bypassed the sneaky resistor wire on the '74tii? 

I hope the seller gets what they're asking. 

Gives me hope that I can sell my Trasher '74tii for big bucks one day Ha!

PS, I'll never sell.  I love that car

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

right on...very true...not so sure about 6 figure tii roundies..lol...but I agree w/ you in general. really strong orig car will always get top dollar....look for 25k non tii's......and 60k and up tii's...

It's amusing reading all of the criticisms and pontifications about this car's value & condition, most of which I agree with.

But guess what?

Strange as it is to consider given that we are the ones who love these little boxes, WE FAQ'ers ARE NOT THE TARGET AUDIENCE FOR THIS CAR!!

First of all, we are generally an eccentric collection of bottom-feeders, people always on the hunt for a rare treasure at a bargain price. That is our undeniable nature and we are proud of it because the hunt is a big part of the passion. We call ourselves "resourceful." Outside of our community, we are referred to by less glowing names such as "mooches."

Second, we know too much to throw caution to the wind in the form of vulgar excess. We're not going to pay top dollar for something that is not top notch. In fact, we won't even pay top dollar for something that IS top notch.

No, the people who pay "all the money" for these cars are not present here. They are, for the most part, members of a totally different demographic & psychographic group, and possessing of a completely foreign value system.

We are not they and they are not we...but we will sell them our cars if we need to or want to...and then we will thank them for being they and not we.

Parting prediction: The best roundie tii cars will be worth six (6) figures in ten (10) years...to them.

COOP

Edited by jrkoupe

Congratulations on the sale, sportscardigest and thanks again for being such a good sport about the random criticism. It's just something we do.

+1

Congratulations! Well done, sportscardigest!

The closure the forum will miss, however, with the car not being sold through the eBay bidding process, is a sales price, as a point of market reference. But given: (a.) the trend and the trajectory of the bidding, (b.) the number of over-$25K bidders, and (c.) the last bid I saw -- $37K -- I'm going to assume the sales price measurably exceeded $40K.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect a seller wouldn't consider ending the auction early under those conditions for a cent less than $43K (and $45K sounds like a number that many sellers might need to end such an auction early). But I guess we'll never know!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The closure the forum will miss, however, with the car not being sold through the eBay bidding process, is a sales price, as a point of market reference.

Yes Steve, that was my first thought when I saw that it was sold. Sure would like to know what it sold for.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I was reading some of the posts. I have a '74 Tii and have had it for about 8 years. Mostly restored now and always grabs attention. I do drive her and enjoy it quite a lot. As far as her worth...Hagerty has her insured for $30K. Tiis are fewer in number than the normal 02s. That's why they are more valuable. Only 7000 or so were imported and there (most likely) are less than that around now making them rare...which = $$$.

Just mu .02 cents.

Gretchen - 1974 Chamonix 2002 Tii: 5spd, Bilsteins, H&R Springs & IE Poly Suspension Bushings, Pierre Front Air Dam, Hella Driving Lights, Blaupunkt Stereo, MB Quart Speakers, Parker Gauge Cluster.

I'm glad to see those prices because they make sense in the grand scheme of things (and the current market). Not that I plan on selling my car (which is not even a Tii). 

Name a classic foreign car from that era (60s-early 70s) that is in perfect condition, fun to drive, cute and reliable, all  under $30K.  Please, really, go ahead... I am sure I'm missing one, I'll probably go buy it as soon as I read a reply ;-)  

Every car I like from that era has tripled in value in the past 5 years... I've been restoring a "regular" 73 (inka at least) and I'm probably going to be *close* to 30K before it's all done. I refuse to total the bills...at least 25, and it's not even a tii. And for the record, I enjoy driving it as much as I do my early 911. The days of the cool 60s - early70s car that can be had for cheap are gone. But I'm glad the days of a $500 roundie are gone too, because it makes it hard to justify fixing one or insuring one under a classic policy ;-) And from a performance standpoint, the 2002 deserves to be worth that much vs. the rest of the market. It certainly deserves to be the same price as a 912 ! 

PS: answering my own question... so yeah, maybe a 912, but in great shape they are over 30 now, and the 2002 is faster and more fun IMO. AlfaGTVs ? too much now for a nice one... P1800s ? Pretty but too slow. Pagodas are $$$, early 911s ar stratospheric, my personal fav' Alpine A110 Berlinette is also unattainable, what's left ? ;-) 

Edited by deschodt

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

PS: answering my own question... so yeah, maybe a 912, but in great shape they are over 30 now, and the 2002 is faster and more fun IMO. AlfaGTVs ? too much now for a nice one... P1800s ? Pretty but too slow. Pagodas are $$$, early 911s ar stratospheric, my personal fav' Alpine A110 Berlinette is also unattainable, what's left ? ;-) 

Perhaps in defense of your point, grade 2+ 912s have been regularly selling in the 60s for nearly the past year, generally following the lift in the 911 market.

'69 Porsche 912 "Schatzi"

'74 BMW 2002Tii "Sabine"

I believe a $35K '74 Tii better have a perfect correct one piece carpet, properly stuffed seats front and back, intake and other underhood aluminum free of paint with a proper fresh look to the aluminum, an air cleaner and radiator free from dents, the ATE sticker among others where they belong.... I could go on if y'all want.

Oh, I'd hope it comes with the ORIGINAL VIN tag!

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

an air cleaner and radiator free from dents

I guess that eliminates my car from the "most valuable example" category.  I have the common dent on top of the air cleaner and the "how did that get there" dent on the radiator top tank.  These happened in the 17 years prior to my purchase of the car.  I've learned to accept them as battle scars administered by slovenly mechanics and DIY hacks.

Other than that I'm happy to say that there are NO missing or damaged parts on my 73 tii.  I'm always looking.   Athough I recently read that there was a plastic cap for the KF verboten screw.  Really?

On topic: I still want to know what that SportsCarDigest car sold for.

73 Inka Tii #2762958