MAF

jimk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a K&N, they have poor dirt removal properties.  The filter is temporary while examining the effects of a 90deg elbow downstream (or lack of).  I have a filter twice that size for final use but it needs an elbow downstream of the MAF.

Pressure drop is <15hpa @ 850 kghr end to end on the housing.

It's not an issue for maximum power.

An alpha n control even with baro compensation requires a tweaked tune for elevation changes I encounter.  (I've been there, done that).  The low point for me between here and the MidAmFest is 600 ft.  I can to to 12000 ft in an hour.  The MAF should be much better if it works out.

I played with MAF on my Megasquirted air-cooled and loved the 'feel'. It was easy to dial in the correction curve but a slight change in ambient temperature would throw it out of tune and I'd have to start all over again. Once I figured the MAF transfer function it ran sweet all year round.

Rgrds

ar_kid, whose MAF were you using?  Just wondering?

Since the engine had a displacement of around 2.1 litres I pulled the MAF from a 2 litre euro box Vauxhall at the junk yard and one from a smaller Ford engine but don’t remember the displacement, they were both Bosch units.

I taped them both in series to the inlet and logged the 0 to 5 volts. The smaller unit maxed out easily where as the bigger one didn’t have much resolution at low throttle openings so I suspect something in between would have been optimal.

I sold the car 3 years ago so the procedure for calculating the transfer function is rather vague but it is documented somewhere over on the Megasquirt forums

Rgrds

• 2 months later...
. It was easy to dial in the correction curve but a slight change in ambient temperature would throw it out of tune and I'd have to start all over again

I assume your MAF was a hot-wire air-mass meter.  The Bosch hot-film air-mass meter I am using has built in circuitry for air temperature compensation to maintain accuracy.  Data sheet says "Throughout the complete operating-temperature range it compensates for the bridge circuit's temperature sensitivity."  Operating temperature range is -30 to +110 C.

Archived