• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake light stays on ...........

Alexkafy

8 hours ago, Ncbimma said:

Ahh.. I got lured into some post arguing racing and 4 and 5 is no good but 4 is good but always use 3...yada yada yada. I ended up with 3 :)

as a general rule...ignore any thread that talks about the best brake fluid, engine oil, trans oil, etc.  use the  car manufacturers specified GRADE of the liquid.  does not matter who makes the liquid as long as it is changed regularly.  

2xM3

13 hours ago, oldskoul said:

I have a 74 my light is stuck staying on.   I don't see a wire attached to the sensor.   Anyone know where this sensor wire is routed.  

15480300280764520176308290192966.jpg

Your car is a good candidate for the handbrake pivot bearing upgrade from @BLUNT .

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

FWIW, this recently happened to me too, but a quick check showed botht he brake level and handbrake switches were fine.  I'm 99% sure what cause it is that I must have pinched one of the wires coming from the handbrake against when I was putting in new seatbelts.  Unfortunately this means going under the carpet, which I haven't done yet just because I'm afraid it will turn into another order to Esty, but maybe that's not the worst thing in the world. . .

Hey Steve, the link says 1974, will it work on other years?

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Thanks, not sure I would have received the same from Steve. Joking.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, oldskoul said:

Does anyone know where the other end of the wire ends up? 

I saw an 02 with a functioning switch and wondered why I didn't have one. Not even a wire under the carpet.   I studied the 73tii (US) schematic and the switch is not in the diagram.  Although The switch appears in other diagrams.

I decided I WANT ONE, so I wired it myself.   Pigtail off the appropriate wire going into the cluster and fed to the switch at the handbrake.  

HandbrakeSwitch2.jpg.3fc10456130606456dd908afc54cb865.jpgHandbrakeSwitch3.jpg.e7f993959dc62a0f19b04ea4108f5cc8.jpg

Clarification

Although I don't remember the color code for the wire into the cluster, it can be determined from the schematic.  I fed a wire from the switch, up beside the tunnel to the underside of the dash.  Then I brought the wire into the pod and after splicing it in, I re-wrapped new loom tape to keep it tidy.

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 2

73 Inka Tii #2762958

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 7:28 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

I saw an 02 with a functioning switch and wondered why I didn't have one. Not even a wire under the carpet.   I studied the 73tii (US) schematic and the switch is not in the diagram.  Although The switch appears in other diagrams.

I decided I WANT ONE, so I wired it myself.   Pigtail off the appropriate wire going into the cluster and fed to the switch at the handbrake.  

HandbrakeSwitch2.jpg.3fc10456130606456dd908afc54cb865.jpgHandbrakeSwitch3.jpg.e7f993959dc62a0f19b04ea4108f5cc8.jpg

Clarification

Although I don't remember the color code for the wire into the cluster, it can be determined from the schematic.  I fed a wire from the switch, up beside the tunnel to the underside of the dash.  Then I brought the wire into the pod and after splicing it in, I re-wrapped new loom tape to keep it tidy.

My schematic does not have hand-brake wire identified in the circular connection.  Trying to figure out which color wire it is for a 74. 

50 minutes ago, oldskoul said:

My schematic does not have hand-brake wire identified in the circular connection.  Trying to figure out which color wire it is for a 74. 

Here are pictures from a Malaga 74

IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5122.jpg

Per my picture, the wire to handbrake switch is brown with white stripe.    Prospero's laminated wiring diagram  for 74-76 cars shows a brown/black wire from the switch teed into the electric choke and fuel level indicator.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"