• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor, Alternator with DCOE

72bmw2002

HI Guys, So I know this has been discussed be for and its probably what I expect but I have to make sure before I invest into the wrong things. So I building my 72 '02, can as a basket case, literally 4 baskets of engine parts and accessories. The stuff was sitting for over twenty years and now I have it. So I bought a new "rebuilt" engine from a guy on the forums and after breaking it down, I find out it was never rebuilt. Anyways I had my block from the baskets redone, and it's almost complete. Now I have come to one of the most important parts the electrical. From the baskets the starter works as well as the alternator and 003 distributor, but seeing how I 9.5:1 90mm pistons the single barrel 34 solex and manifold isn't going to cut it for me. So I was thinking of using a 32/36 weber or I if I found a decent priced dual 40's I would go that route. So here lies the question. If I go dual 40's I will not have port for the (003) distributor right? So I would have to get a new distributor that doesn't have a vacuum advance, which doesn't have points, right? meaning I have to find an alternator that internally regulated, right? Please let me know if I'm right or wrong, and an advisory of whats parts will work. Keep in mind that I am not opposed to anything, Thank you.

Im no expert but i think you are confusing a few things.

You can get mechanical distributors (Without vacuum advance) with points. However even if you get a mechanic distributor using a petronix like device, that has nothing to do with the alternator. Distributors without points use the coil to power them and the stock alternator will be fine.

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Mechanical advance distributor, yes, but it doesn't  matter much if it has points or not.  I've ran many years with points and DCOEs.  Many say that you have to upgrade to electronic ignition with DCOEs for some crazy reason, but it doesn't make much difference.  If you want to switch out the points for electronic ignition later, then that is easy to do.  It'll make the engine run a little smoother at high RPM is all I can tell.

Do whatever you want for an alternator.  

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

My issue was that I thought that the advance and points were directly connected. I thought if I went dual carbs then I had to ditch the vacuum advance distributer and go for a mechanical advance, which I do have to do, but I thought mechanical advance distributors were all electronic, so I would have to ditch the voltage regulator and alternator as well.

So now I can do mechanical distributor and keep points with the voltage reg. and alternator. 

Now if I went with an electronic ignition I would have to get a new alternator that is internally regulated right?

Edited by 72bmw2002

Like Steven and KFunk said, the 2 (Alt and Points) don't depend on each other. You can do points with internally OR externally regulated alternator, AND you can do electronic (Pertronix, etc.) with internally OR externally regulated alternator. It's totally your choice.

Yes, there WAS skin on my knuckles before I started the repair...

Find a good used tii mech advance distributor. 008 or 002. They come up on the forum regularly. Expect to pay $100-200. Keep the points and condenser and keep your standard alternator and regulator. The internally regulated alt has a higher amp rating, but you also will face some re wiring to make it work. The stock 02 alternator has plenty of juice if you decide to run a pointless distributor and unless you are installing a monster sound system is also capable of running aux lighting etc.

Yes. All distributors advance and retard. Mechanical ones doing it using a mechanical means. Vacuum ones do it using vacuum.

The mechanic ones work by centrifugal force, the faster the distributor spins (motor reving), the centrifugal force moves a mechanical advance mechanism.

The Tii distributors are mechanical advance.

Actually, all of the distributors have mechanical a advance. Vacuum advance/retard units will also control the advance under certain throttle positions as well as by mechanical means. They can either have points or can be switched electronically by either a Pertronix type system or a Crain or some other type of unit. The alternator has nothing to do with it. BTW, all alternators have voltage regulators, either internal or external. 

I do have a vacuum hose for the brake booster on my warneford sidedraft manifold, but that's the only vacuum port on the manifold (which I think is the same case with all the popular manifolds).  I'm not sure why nobody adds a second vacuum port for a dizzy.  Maybe just because the purely mech. advance dizzy from the tii/ti is just plain better for this application?  I suppose you could always drill and tap a second vacuum port, but is it worth it?

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

The point where the vacume take-off is important here.  The booster take-offs are behind the throttle plates on all DCOE manifolds I've seen.  To properly operate a vacume advance dizzy however, and to balance carbs using a vacume balance tool for that matter, you need a take-off in front of the throttle plates, which webers don't have, but I believe Dollertos do.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

^ Correct, the issue is not vacuum, we can get that any where. We need vacuum from before the throttle plates otherwise the distributors would always be advanced because moors have vacuum even at idle.