Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

WOT: for those of you in charge of your email system...

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

So... I have been using a Sendmail relay box with TrendMicro VirusWall and eManager to filter mail for a couple years(relaying to our internal Corporate email system). Works pretty good..catches all viruses, eManager has rules you can input, and a rudimentary 'spam list'; its all web-based admin, auto updates, etc. Basically a 'set it and forget it' deal. But we were still getting a lot of spam. Trend has a new product called SPS (Spam Protection Services)...I took a look at it, but it doesn't have nearly the finish of its other products, plus its too much cash.

So...gotta look to open source, right? Long story short, after trying a bunch of different packages, I have settled on MailScanner/SpamAssassin/MailWatch. Let me tell you, MailScanner and SA work fricken slick! Already, it is catching about 20% of our 5000-6000 emails a day as spam with almost ZERO false positives..which should get even better as the Bayes database does a bit more 'learning'. So to anyone who is looking at filtering spam, I don't think you can beat this at any cost, nevermind the fact that it is free. You can also configure it for personal user use if you don't have control of your email system.

Unreal...

www.spamassassin.org

www.mailscanner.biz

Matt

'72 02/m20

Guest Anonymous

200215.jpg

all/most of our spam email is gone. especially the really really really bad stuff.

on guy here was pissed. he said he really liked getting emails from britney spears to see her nude pics.

what a mess

-dave

Guest Anonymous

...for those of us who are not Global Lords of Data? I've been using McAfee SpamKiller; is there anything better?

Guest Anonymous

Do you run your own mail server; if so, what type? (exchange?).

Matt

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.networkassociates.com/us/products/mcafee/antispam/category.htm

McAfee SpamKiller pretty much IS Spamassassin. Deersoft was selling their own version of the (open source) SpamAssassin, then NAI purchased Deersoft, and took the SA package and turned that into their SpamKiller line of products. So essentially its the same engine.

Are you using Spamkiller personally, or is it installed on our Exchange box?

check URL below

Guest Anonymous

have the state of the art, then - just wish the state of the art were 100% effective.

Thanks for your insights, Matt.