I found the original service records.....NOT.

arminyack

So I started poking around the big box of parts that came with my 1600 when i bought it last month...at the bottom was the Service records booklet...I open it, and I see its been filled out! SCORE! Then I really look at it...Type: 2002. Nope. Delivery: 1971. Nope. VIN: 2573918. Uh....no.,....damn!  It was originally purchased at Peter Pan Imports in So. SF...my homeland!

So, by an extreme long shot, if anyone here owns, 2573918.....I've got your original Service records!

IMAG0995_zps3b143838.jpg

IMAG0993_zps7ddeda44.jpg

IMAG0994_zps82e12f41.jpg

I think it was 02les that has the most extensive database of 02 VINs, so your best chance of finding that car's owner would be with him (or someone that has that file).  I used to have a copy, but may have left it on a different computer.

I think it was 02les that has the most extensive database of 02 VINs, so your best chance of finding that car's owner would be with him (or someone that has that file).  I used to have a copy, but may have left it on a different computer.

Yep, his database shows it sold on ebay in 2004 out of Nevada. Anthracite gray car.

Cheers,

As a buyer I'd be more interested in the service records for the last 35 years, not necessarily the first few years.

+1 Very true, it is nice to have for a sale in the same field as having original brochures or window stickers. Sort of novelty, but having a thick record of service records is a necessity unless it is a shell..

When I bought my 75 it came with records back from the '90s..even though that was 20 years after the car was bought it still let me know what I was working with parts and service related.

My Father used to record every fuel fill up, amount of petrol ( England) & mileage at fill up in small note pads I never asked him why , maybe a WW II vet thing , he was born in 1911 though :).

My grandpa (96) still does this. He tracks any change in consumption to see if his car is running differently.

My father kept one of these logs forever and I did it for all my cars until around ten years ago when I said, "What am I doing this for?" The women in our family would roll their eyes every time they filled a gas tank because my father and I always had to ask them: "Did you fill out the book?" And they never had!

I came across the book for my '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee a few months ago -- ditched it -- but I can't seem to find the '76 '02's book!

The gist of my books -- receipts showed the details of all repairs and maintenance -- was that they showed the gas mileage at each fill-up, both for that fill-up and cumulatively since the acquisition of the vehicle. Lessons learned? 1. Your cumulative actual mileage is decidedly worse than you imagine it should be. 2. In-car computerized mileage read-outs have grown increasingly accurate over the last 20 years.

Steve

My Father used to record every fuel fill up, amount of petrol ( England) & mileage at fill up in small note pads I never asked him why , maybe a WW II vet thing , he was born in 1911 though :).

Yep, still do it with the '02s. I thought maybe it's a UK thing, but seeing the posts below yours.....I guess not.

If you get anal about it, It will tell you that you get a fractional better gas/petrol mileage if you keep 2 galls in the tank rather than keep filling it up!!!

hehe

Archived