• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you've done a VW MKI duck bill, come on in!

cosm3os

Bought a MkI duck bill chin.  For 40 bucks what the heck--if its a lot of work, I'll scrap em.  I've seen all the threads on faq on this, but non have good pics of how they were modified and installed to work.  The one on the white car looks like a good install, but no instructions and the pics are lousy.  So, if you've done it and have some pics of the work, please share!

Thanks

Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest Spec E30 Series Director
1976 BMW 2002 "tii"

2014 Ford Mustang GT "Boss Lite"

Might as well turn this into a build thread.  A quick mock up reveals that the contour of the chin without doing any work seems to fit best without connecting the two pieces.  Plus, I think the width looks best this way.  So I think I'm just going to make a "strap" to fill the gap and call it a job well done.

IMG_20150110_142229_235_zpszt4kbotk.jpg

IMG_20150110_142210_953_zps48rz8w1u.jpg

Kyle Burkhardt
1976 BMW 2002 "tii"

Kyle,

Looks good so far. I've had half an eye on those as well. Where did you get yours, and what are you planning to use for the "strap"?

-Dave

Edited by dlhoovler

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

I'm thinking a thin plastic cutting board will have a similar texture and allow me to "wrap" it around the top and bottom and then hit with some plastidip maybe.  I"ll rivet the pieces together.

Kyle Burkhardt
1976 BMW 2002 "tii"

Dave, the threads on here recommended one place, but they were out of stock.  Found this on ECS and paid a bit more just cause it was a reputable seller and I didn't want to get some horrible chinese knock off.  But you can find on ebay for 40 bucks I think.

Kyle Burkhardt
1976 BMW 2002 "tii"

Somebody with some fabrication skills should produce these for the 2002 cars. And by produce I mean, make them slightly longer so they fit the 2002 properly.

I've been wanting to, as I have a race customer who wants this duckbill air dam and a shop next door who does carbon fiber molding and fabrication...

I'm not sure carbon fiber is the answer, however: Thoughts, all? -KB

I did a Mk1 duckbill on my car. It's dark outside now, but I'll snap some better pics tomorrow to show you. 

What I did is to take to little overlap in the middle where the two pieces join up, and then slowly, bit by bit, 'shave off little bits at a time, to make the pieces meet at an angle, so that the spoiler 'fans out' along the contours of the front of the '02. I hope that make sense. The front of a Mk1 is a lot more straight than the '02, so if the normal angle of the spoiler (where the two bits meet) is say 180degrees, I shaved it off to make it 160degrees or whatever is is. Decrease the angle, basically.

I used self tapping screws to get it in there. I wanted to use bolts with nuts of some sort, but it's a box section down there in the front, so no real access from behind. And also once we started, we realized how much body putty is in there (yay).

Anyway, mine's been sitting tight for about 2 years now, no issues at all.

I hope this works to link an image….

20150111_072713_1.jpg?dl=0