Preparing For A Camden Blower... Yeah Right!

Benjamin A.R.

First of all my search turned up 4 threads about The M10 Camden kits which had very little info. The rest were one reply stating: "learn to use the search." I've never seen the point in saying that to someone. If you don't want to talk about the thread topic, just pass it up someone else will. When my mechanically un-inclined friends ask me for help, I don't tell them to learn to use the internet, I try to help them out because I like being a gearhead and showing people how to work on their cars isn't a chore to me. Sorry to rant, but I like having a lot of threads about the same thing to read through. It lets you see more people's perspectives. Yes, in a perfect world we should be able to get all the info about a topic on one thread... but it's not a perfect world. So instead of reviving a thread from 8 years ago, I'm going to start a new one. Again, sorry to rant.

I've found that thinking ahead before doing projects on my car saves my future self some irritation. Here's the state of things in case you're curious. I have the infamous leak that arises between the timing covers when that tiny bit of head gasket snaps off. I've tried to solve it with the finest from permatex TWICE with no luck. So now I'm considering just popping the head off and replacing the whole damn head gasket even though compression is fine (for a '75). Now as for the Supercharger...I've always wanted one from the moment I found out that there used to be a kit for m10s from Camden.  I've got nothing against turbos, but my ability to do plumbing is poor now that I no longer have a bender and a welder. And linear power is nice. I also like the idea of machining a tii timing cover to fit a rotrex type. (Not my idea.) But I don't want to spend that much on JUST a blower then even more to make it fit. That's why I'm after a Camden kit, it looks like an intensive bolt on job to me! My specialty... The small amount of info I've found (mostly photocopied roundel ads) has said that it increases power by 30% with 6 pounds. It also said that they've had good results with 12+ pounds. Not sure how the boost would be adjustable on these other than maybe they came with a few different sized pulleys?

There's no rush to find one (I probably won't), but It'd be nice to be ready for boost if I do. So I'm looking at head gasket options and the stock replacement for a 75 is 1.8mm thick while the performance MLS on IE is 1.3mm. Since I think I have the low compression 8.1:1 pistons already (The papers I have on the last rebuild say nothing about parts other than stock replacement.) By how much do you think this thinner MLS gasket would raise compression? If I wanted to try out up to 8-9ish pounds do you think this would be better paired with the MLS or a quality oem like the one offered on IE? ARP head studs with boost this low? 

Small questions that I'm sure I could eventually find the answer to if someone gets angry. I'm sure those answers would be more directed towards turbo builds though and I have no Idea if the linear nature of a blower would require a slightly different set of guidelines as to boosting on stock internals. If you know the answers to my questions I'd love to hear from you. 

However I'm mainly making this thread to ask if anyone has any good articles, brochures, technical specs, etc. on the Camden b-80 M10 kit?

post-41166-0-37808100-1420779351_thumb.j

post-41166-0-05729400-1420779371_thumb.j

I've always been intrigued by the Camden Supercharger for the M10 engine, based on the simple bolt-on upgrade.  I suspect that they were originally designed to work with the stock engine with no head modifications required to support the relatively low boost.  In my 20+ years of wrenching on these cars, I have never seen a Camden kit for sale that wasn't already installed, although I am sure there are units stashed away somewhere.  If I was planning on some future boost project and had a good reason to remove the head, (leaking timing cover), I would send the head out with the timing cover to insure a good fit, and modify the head for the cutting ring gasket.  The thinner MLS gasket isn't going to increase your compression by much, but it will make your timing chain sag slightly, which is why you may want to invest in that IE mechanical chain tensioner.  I would probably convert to the ARP head studs while I was in there as well.  Probably overkill for 6 lbs of boost, but better safe than sorry.  Place a Wanted Ad for the Camden and see if anything turns up.

IMHO,

Mark92131

VattheV06038.jpg  this one was set up with 272 cam 6.5 to 1 pistons, 40 weber sidedraft.  Close ratio 5 speed to 3.91 LS rearend.  Only had the one pulley so the drive belt was very skinny.  Had a tendency to starve the engine of fuel.  Almost went deaf trying to drive it with a straight pipe.  I had a wicked fast M2 at the same time and as much as I liked to open the hood on this hot rod.  I drove the hell out of my M2.   

Mike Mcartney of Jaymic had a supercharged Tii from memory many many years ago, he said it was very quick, not sure if he still has any details, maybe drop Fay or Pete a line at Jaymic and see if they can jog his memory and get some info?

But it will make your timing chain sag slightly, which is why you may want to invest in that IE mechanical chain tensioner.

Even ireland says that thing is annoying. You have to keep an eye on it all the time. The hydraulic one seems like it works great when you bleed it...is there not enough reach to take up slack?

this one was set up with 272 cam 6.5 to 1 pistons, 40 weber sidedraft.  Close ratio 5 speed to 3.91 LS rearend. Had a tendency to starve the engine of fuel. 

Already got an overdrive style 5, it kicks ass on the highway. I should have gone to the 228mm clutch while I was at...Was it starving because of the cam or the carb do you think? I was thinking about doing a 284 and oversized valves when I get around to modding the head. But that's a later thing, do you think it would starve on a stock cam? Also I've see the adapter piece for the carb to blower and it looks like there's room to machine to fit a 48, 52, or another bog boy dcoe webber. Also was it a 121 or an e12? Seems like the e12 is best for flow so that could've been a factor too.

Already got an overdrive style 5, it kicks ass on the highway. I should have gone to the 228mm clutch while I was at...

Just wondering what makes you regret sticking with the 215? I'm heading down this road and was just going to stay with a 215mm clutch to match my 215 flywheel..

Just wondering what makes you regret sticking with the 215? I'm heading down this road and was just going to stay with a 215mm clutch to match my 215 flywheel..

It's no biggie if your engine isn't a monster. Mine might end up being one though, so I should've planned ahead that's all. I think one of the super knowledgeable guys on here said that a 215 is fine for less than like 180 horses. (Toby maybe?)

Archived