Engine leaning against the steering linkage

Cromagnon

Hi everybody. My 2002, two months with me as of now, always had the steering wheel too hard to move. But yesterday while taking a look at the gearshift linkage I noticed that the engine is leaning against the steering linkage. This is why the steering is hard, but why the engine is touching this linkage?

I took a look at the engine mountings and everything seems to be OK but for sure something is not. I tried to find in the manuals and in the Internet the thikness of the rubber mountings to check if they are not crushed, to no avail. 

If someone has these measurements I will be thankful.

Any other clues? 

Thanks in advace for your cooperation.

Best regards

Santiago

If it's rubbing at the rear/center of the steering linkage, check the rubber mount (and how it's installed/shimmed) at back of transmission. If that's busted/wrong, the engine/trans assembly can tilt back and rub on the center link. Photo of ill-fitted 5 speed conversion which had this issue. -KB

post-35761-0-17922800-1420654707_thumb.j

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

The pic that KB posted seems to be exactly what I saw yesterday, and yes, the linkage is rubbing the gearbox case. I also took couple of pics but I don't have it here.

I am about to dismantle the shift linkage for repair so I will have the rear mount exposed for checking. Do someone have the dimensions (height) of this mount?

The left engine mount seems to be a little tricky to dismount for inspection but with some effort I will release it.

As usual, I will post the findings to contribute with the forum.

Cheers

Santiago

The transmission mount should look something like this:

post-42878-0-88954600-1420658855_thumb.j

Many times the old ones will turn to sticky goo.  If you are about to get into the shifter, the mount will be an easy extra step in the project. 

I'd check the Guibo carefully.  If the bellhousing is laying on the center link, the driveshaft has probably not been lined up with the back of the transmission, which could stress the Guibo.  Also check the fan/radiator clearance... If the engine/tranny are tilted back, the fan could hit the lower part of the rad. 

Ed

The picture in Zinz's post is for a 320 (E21) or Bavaria tranny mount.  The original 2002 rear mount is much smaller.  The E21 and Bavaria mounts are a good replacement--larger and more long-lived than the original one.

Another thing to check, but only if you have an early (pre1971) car.  Those early cars had a very flimsy one-piece right side engine mount, which stress fractured and allowed the engine to lean significantly to the left--and to allow the air cleaner to hit the hood and/or the lower part of the engine to contact the steering mechanism.  BMW changed the mount sometime in 1971 to a much sturdier one that's welded up from several pieces, and has auxiliary brackets that will keep the engine more-or-less in place if the rubber mount breaks.  If you find the early mount on your car, replace it with the later style.  If it hasn't broken yet, it will.

cheers

mike 

PS--do you have one of the Uruguayan-assembled 2002s?

So the transmission rather than the engine is hitting the steering center link. In that case it could be a collapsed/soggy right motor mount or the above mentioned early mount bracket, which cracks/breaks. The e21 trans mount is a great upgrade, but you will need to enlarge the mounting hole in the cross member to 10mm and buy a 10mm nut and washer for new mount. Bav mount is the same drill, but it will have alignment nubs which you will have to grind off before install.

Hi everybody and again thanks to all for your help that is very useful. I'll try to answer and comment your posts.

You are right, Mike. My 02 is a 1971 Uruguayan assembled car with 5 shift transmission. This one is almost all original and because of that I am dealing with parts that are 43 years old!! Very few parts has been replaced by non original parts.

Some of you already answerer the question that I was about to do, if the 320 E21 spares could fit in my car. I'll try to find this spares that, according to your suggestion, are better than the originals.

Today I checked the mounts rising the engine and gearbox with a couple of jacks, and guess what? all the mounts seems to be too weak and collapsed, specially the right one, that seems soggy like a sponge (you are right, Artboakrill). BTW, no flange seems broken. 

The gearbox mount do not look like the one showed in Zinz's picture (this one of an E21 seems more sturdy). Is a thinner one with different look. I will take some photos perhaps tomorrow of all the mounts.I will replace it mount during the gearshift linkage repair, and took duly note of the inspection of the guibo.

Tomorrow I will check on the repair shops for the right mount, and if I have no luck I'll try with a repair of the one currently installed in the car. Here in Uruguay we have very good craftmanship with this kind of repairs.

Cheers

Santiago

Hi everybody.

Yesterday I replaced the right mount and now the steering linkage has a little clearance, not too much but is not rubbing anymore. I compared this new pad (BMW original) with the old one and it was almost 10 mm thicker and the rubber was collapsed, weak and soggy. Nothing, uh??

During this work I took care of Ed's comment and checked the clearance between the rad and the fan, and it was a good one.

Also took off the left mount that turned out to be bended, thing that was not observable installed in the car. Today I will replace it too, along with the gearbox tail mount next week when working on the shift linkage. Yesterday I found a BMW dealer that has these two mounts BMW original too, so no need to do shop repair. 

I will follow the advice and replace the tail mount with a E21 part, that is sturdier.

The result is clear: all the pads were worn out despite the fact that it was not easy to spot. Thanks to your feedback I went straight to the cause of the problem.

Thanks to all of you folks for your help!!!

Santiago

Archived