Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Any VW type II (bus) fans?

55 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Looks like I'm getting myself an Uberwagen in a few weeks - 1971 VW transporter / bus.

I'd love recomendations for knowledgeable parts places (Believe me, I KNOW a good parts guy/gal is worth their weight in GOLD when it comes to crusty ole vehicles!)

Also - any good resources / message boards? I'm NOT planning on any mods, or hotrodding - just want to make it CORRECT and as safe as possible for daily transport....well OK - *maybe* a couple of Webers. The curent 84 year old owners have owned it since DAY ONE....making THIS one a real GEM in my eye....I just HAVE to keep it nice...in the interest of Karma.

Thanks Y'all!

Paul (hell NO I ain't turning into no F%*!^king HIPPIE!!!)

Guest Anonymous

I had a 1972 Squareback at one time, very cool car! close to "Inka" in color, somewhat pumpkin orange I guess. Our family had a 1972 VW bus, bought new in '72. By the way, I picked up my 1969 BMW 2000 2 weeks ago, car runs awesome! rebuilt engine, new oem exhaust system and new clutch hydraulics and flex line, typical 2nd gear crunch but I baby it and it's fine. I'll post photos I took of the car last Saturday soon. Nice gesture that you're doing for this guy with the 2002, enjoy the VW bus,

Tim

'74 2002

'69 2000

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.vintagebus.com

Yes!

I'm an ol' retired VW junky having owned many air and watercooled versions.

I owned a '71 Westfalia camper... I miss that thing.

check out http://www.vintagebus.com

they have good links/resources.

good to hear from you again...

Guest Anonymous

quite a bit of stuff from Bus Boys.

When the engine comes up for a rebuild (as it inevitably will), consider going to 90.5 mm pistons and cylinders, a Scat counterweighted crank, a full flow oil filter and either Webers or Kadrons - the displacement increase (to 1776 cc) will help the bus get out of its own way and the counterweighted crank and better filtration will help the bottom end live.

Guest Anonymous

Hopefully the motor will last me at least through the next 12 mos or so (20K or so on the current rebuild supposedly)

These VW things are so absolutely alien to me - - I feel absolutely clueless - so I'm doing as much catch-up as I can. I've already got a few book s on the way for repair / assembly / info.

Thanks VERY MUCH!!!!

Paul

Guest Anonymous

I once owned a 23 window deluxe microbus.

It was crap, but I didn't care...

And yes, I was a hippie.

Peace.

Delia Wolfe

'73tii

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

-and-

'88 325is

Zinnaberot (aka "Red Oktober)

Guest Anonymous

I've seen your photo Delia...I KNOW better!!!

BTW:

...I'll be sending many "son of stoopid list" parts requests to the bus parts folks in the coming months..(remember THOSE?)

..WOW - 23 pieces of glass....now THOSE are some great looking vehicles!!!! I just want something with some personality to cruise to Home Depot when it's "drywall" day at my house.

Guest Anonymous

They had shortened it by cutting about 2' from the center section, I wish I had a camera then. You can probably cut and paste a picture and get an idea...

Michael

72 tii

Guest Anonymous

java.JPG

WOW good year..the best for the type two bus. Just remove the middle seat and it's instant work truck/parts hauler/road trip vehicle! Check out the samba.com, etc. ALOT of support and so easy and nexpensive to wrench on! If it's not too rusty than you got good one.

I have had a '68 and '70 buses that are now gone but served me faithfully. The '72 (914 pankake motor) hang-grenaded after about 800 miles however. The pre-'72 dual port 1600 is the motor to have. I sold the buses but stll have the '64 bug (pictured). I once took a cross-country road trip in a beat down '67 1500 Beetle that I saved from some guy in Reseda's back yard. SLOW but great drivers that save $$$$$. Next cross country trip is in the '68 1600, however :)