Period correct interior for a 71 2002

Justin99

Does anyone know of any online reference resources for the period correct interiors for our 2002s?

I have found the Restorers Reference Guide http://www.booktopia.com.au/the-restorer-s-reference-bmw-2002-1968-1976-james-taylor/prod9780760327968.html and added it to my birthday list (in October!), but was wondering if there are other resources available online?

At this point I am looking for what the period correct rear quarter window openers are.  My car currently has black ones but I also have a couple of sets of chrome ones.  I like the chrome ones, but also don't mind the black so will use what ever is period correct.

Thanks

Mike's, of course, correct about the chromed rear quarter window mechanisms. But if you really want to "nail" period-correct details, there are two great sources:

1. Period 2002 brochures, readily available on eBay (as an example, the February '70 brochure, first photo below, clearly shows a chromed mechanism and the '72 brochure, second photo below, clearly shows a chromed mechanism, "bracketing" your '71 example) ; and

2. This forum, through the search function. As an example, searching on "rear quarter latch," you'll find:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/148253-rear-window-latch-and-headliner/?hl=%2Bchrome+%2Bblack+%2Bquarter+%2Bwindow#entry958271

See, particularly, post #9.

Good luck,

Steve

post-41123-0-36148500-1420546149_thumb.j

post-41123-0-87123100-1420546167_thumb.j

Hmmmm... seems my '71 might be a mix of things. But I do have the chrome rear window latches...missing one chrome ball/nut/finial :(

attachicon.gifinterior pic.jpg

(911 is not mine, BTW)

Ed Z

Ed,

Well, the front seats at least. The black hinges replaced chrome hinges sometime late in the 1972 model year for tii's, earlier for non-tii's (perhaps not with a clean cut-off VIN). But your head restraints also appear to be "eared" -- there are multiple panels to the perforated vinyl because the outer edges of the headrest are measurably larger than the center -- and to have 12mm supports, versus the earlier 10mm supports. This headrest change appears to have occurred during the 1973 model year, as early-ish '73's generally have black hinges but "un-eared," 10mm-support, head restraints. So you've likely got '73 front seats in a '71.

There's a great post -- by Lars -- that illustrates the head restraint change.

Regards,

Steve

To emphasize Mike's input and contradict DRedman's

US-model early 71's (including my feb. build date car) had short center consoles and no lower exterior trim.

I, for one, certainly agree with this. And I further note, as you and others have similarly noted, that from the very introduction of the knee mouldings on new 2002s, owners began buying that knee moulding and applying it to "pre-knee moulding" cars. How do I know? In '74, I was assembling a set of knee mouldings, along with long-tail rear bumper and rear reflectors -- mostly taken from a t-boned tii I was parting -- to "modernize" my '70 (1668093, September 8, 1969), but I totaled the '70 before I was able to modernize it! (And, no, I didn't total the tii; I bought it to part out, and collect its "upgrades"!)

Regards,

Steve

According to the video in this post, Paul Bracq is responsible for that trim strip.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/161309-video-paul-bracq-a-bmw-designer-of-the-70s/

As he says (at 1:15), "My signature is this guard strip..."

I am not sure which look I prefer, with or without it, but I do appreciate its function.  When I open my door against the carport pole (gently) it is that strip that hits first, saving the paint from dings.  

Now, back to the original discussion  :)

OK. I stand corrected.  I'm the third owner of this Jan 71 build date and someone must have added the knee trim w/o the newer bumpers and placed the trim at the wrong height!

And if you weren't adding the long-tail bumper at the time, the argument to align the knee moulding with the rear bumper grew weaker while raising the height of the knee moulding actually made the knee moulding more functional, more protective. I've seen these added knee mouldings all over the place, but they are, as you've concluded, post-factory installations.

Regards,

Steve

Back in the day I did the knee moulding "upgrade" on my '70.  This after I had a body shop take out a mass of door dings.

The knee-moulding was necessary back then because the doors on the American cars weighed a ton, came off their hinges when opened and were virtually uncontrollable, thereafter.    

I have a suspicion (but can't prove it) that when BMW introduced the "modell 71" cars that hit our shores in April 1971, there was not a sharp cutoff when they changed from short to long rear bumper ends, short to long consoles, lower sie molding, silver dollar to black instrument faces and all the other little details that changed between the 166/167xxxx cars and the 257/8/9xxxx cars.  

As the factory was wont to do, they used up early parts on the assembly line 'till they ran out, then switched to the newer part.  This even extended to paint--I had never heard of a '72 car in Nevada until I saw an original 72 tii--painted Nevada.  Same with chrome seat recliner mechanisms vs black ones and the early tobacco brown seats vs the "caramel" brown seats used on later roundies.  I've seen cars with higher VINs and early tobacco seats than those with the supposedly later "caramel" seats--same with chrome and black recliner mechanisms.

As an aside, I wouldn't completely rely on BMW factory literature to be completely accurate on year-by-year details.  The brochures were usually made up and printed before the model year began, and there are several brochures from successive years that use the same picture.  The best source for authenticity is to look at an original, unmolested car whose history is known--like an original owner who has either kept the car original or has documented any changes that have been made.  

Might be a Good Thing if the FAQ could create a list of such cars, year by year with owners who are willing to answer authenticity questions from other FAQers...

cheers

mike

I was wondering what the early silver dollar dash was like mine seems to have chrome "residue" all over like the whole Binacle was chrome but that seems OTT for BMW , does anyone have a period photo of an early dash please.I'm guessing all chrome with the face around the gauges black texture with chrome bezels on the gauges.I'd love to see a photo.

I was wondering what the early silver dollar dash was like mine seems to have chrome "residue" all over like the whole Binacle was chrome but that seems OTT for BMW , does anyone have a period photo of an early dash please.I'm guessing all chrome with the face around the gauges black texture with chrome bezels on the gauges.I'd love to see a photo.

This is a good book that details the changes over the years . http://www.amazon.com/Restorers-Reference-BMW-2002-1968-1976/dp/0760327963/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420637936&sr=1-1&keywords=bmw+2002

Archived