Fried Alternator?

jrhone

So a few weeks back (a month ago exactly) I thought something went south when I jumpstarted my months in laws Camry.  I replaced the voltage regulator and there wasn't much change.  I was just getting low voltage at idle and when the lights where on and electric fan kicked in it dropped the voltage by about 4 volts.  Today I was driving and the "L" dash light began flickering for a few minutes then went solid.  Hmm…ok so I rushed back home and took a look.  I began to check the connections on the back of the alternator and they were all solid, but the rear of the alternator moved when wiggling the wires.  Then I hear and see sparks from the alternator.  I am guessing thats fried…here is some video….On another note…which alternator should I get?  Its a stock unit in there now…should I opt for the e21?  

From your video it appears that the plate that holds the diodes has come loose; looks like it's grounding to the alternator frame.  It may just need to be tightened so that whatever is touching and sparking when you wiggle it will quit doing so.  Or, your diodes are fried from the grounding.  

If you have a local auto electric shop they can probably replace 'em.  We have a local shop here who went through my stock 45 amp alternator and upped the amperage to about 60, more than enough to run all the stuff on my '73.  Otherwise, it may be new alternator time...

mike

Archived