Problem with site redirection by an ad???

I'm not sure if anyone else is having the same problem, but I am getting getting redirected and timed out when I go to the site using Internet Explorer (IE11). The redirection is to what looks like a commercial ad site:

http://delivery.us.myswitchads.com/adserver/update_sat.html?

I don't have any problem using Chrome (which probably says something about IE)....

• 2 weeks later...

Started happening again but with a new site (ads.pubmatic.com) that I also added to my restricted list. I did a little research where visitors to other sites had reported these kinds of problems when the content delivery sites had a slow loading ad. Maybe something in my browsing past is triggering an ad site that has poor content?

I can remove the blocks and see what happens, now that I know how to remediate, it is less annoying.

Yup..... still there. If I take the sites listed above out of the restricted zone on IE, the symptoms come right back. About 2-3 seconds after loading a page, I get redirected to a new commercial ad site that doesn't load.

In any case, if anyone else has a similar problem, when the browser is redirected to a non-loading site, while on the site just go into the IE Tools >> Internet Options >> Security  tab >> click on Restricted Sites >> click on sites >> add the redirection site to the zone.   Appears to take care of the symptom and I get great pleasure in blocking ad sites anyway (apologies to any who make a living selling internet content)..

PS: I do have a fully up to date AVG antivirus security suite. Not sure if it's related, but it did occur after I switched from Kapersky to AVG.

Archived