Transmission bell housing question

DaHose

I have an idea inspired by a vague memory that with an E30 it's possible to use the bell housing from one tranny and use a 5 speed from a different tranny.

Is there a two piece transmission out there I can scavenge the bell housing from and use it on my 73' M10 block?

Jose

Yeah, this is nowhere near bolt- and- drive.  The auto bellhousing is pretty much just a basket.  You'll have to fab a perch for the

bearing, and route cables.  It's not terrible, but it does need to be pretty precise. Add to your troubles that the Saab

throwout is too small in diameter to fit over the 1x10 BMW style splines.  The Saab part is very nice and easy to use, AND a lot of aftermarket

throwout adapter kits are based on it.  There are bigger ones, though, like for a Jeep.  But then you end up with Jeep parts in your car...

heh.

I still want to get a T5 into the race car.  It's just so much more butch.

hth

t

There are a lot of gear options for the T5. The 4 cylinder versions came with a .8 OD and a shorter first which gives final drive ratios similar to our stock 4 speeds with the right diff. They used a smaller input shaft and a standard bearing is easily available for the pilot bearing, where as with the larger input shaft found on the V8 versions, you will need to machine a bushing as a standard bearing size is NOT available. 

I've covered just about all of the ratios available, and honestly most aren't that great for a dual purpose street/track car. the v8 transmission gives a nice close spread if you were to change the fifth out for a .78OD, but first gear will be a real pain at slow speeds. The 4 cylinder version, on the other hand, is a bit TOO tall in first, and the overall gear spread becomes pretty wide (compared to our stock transmissions, anyway). 

There is one year, however, that is just perfect. the 1986 ford SVO mustang (4 cylinder turbo) had a gear set with a 3.5 first gear which is just PERFECT for a turbocharged m10. Good luck finding one, though; I've been searching and calling all over the US for well over two weeks now without any luck. 

I already have a 320i 5-speed, so I plan to use that and daydream about something else down the road.

Is this what you are looking for Rocan?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-86-SVO-T5-Manual-5-Speed-Transmission-Trans-Mustang-85-1984-1986-1985-T-5-2-3-/331399786135?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d28f76e97&vxp=mtr

Jose

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/transmission_spec.htm

No, I bet he's looking for is a 116, which looks like a good fit for a street 2002.

Since Jose is going Getrag, and Google wasn't much help, I'm gonna derail this one-

Has anyone with experience with these know how they're assembled?

As in, can the overdrive section be swapped separately, or is it integral to the countershaft?

edit- overdrive gears are separate- I wonder if the non- WC 5th from a pickup could be stuffed in there?

Super cheap U mainset, S10 overdrive, viola- almost- racing gear ratios for Pull- a- Part prices!

I'd love to take a couple of cheap T5's and make up one really nice racing transmission...

which would be pretty easy if the OD's swapped around.

t

I believe you can swap the OD. The largest one needs to be broken off to remove the shaft (unless if you cut out the bearing race) so I imagine it can be replaced.

The 3.15 ratio first class with a .8 OD would be a perfect cluster for the track.

Also dog box internals are available for the t5

...there's a company building dog boxes with .92 od's, but that's real racing transmission money.

I was dreaming of the U gearset (pretty close 2-4- 1.93, 1.3, 1) with the .86 truck overdrive.

$250 for 2 junkyard transmissions.

Real almost- racecar gearing.

PROFIT!!!!

...oh, wait...

hee

t

Archived