• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blaupunkt Radio Help.

aholderith

Hello everyone, I am new to the FAQ having just purchased a '74 Chamonix. The car came with a Blaupunkt Radio and speaker grill, and I have a few questions about it.

1. How much current do I run it with? 1A?

2. Does it drive 4ohm speakers?

3. Does anyone know what kind of oval speaker will fit on the mounting points? I measured the speaker size at 3.5x6in but I can't find drivers that size anywhere online.

4. Are there any wiring diagrams or examples that I can use to wire this thing properly? It seems pretty straightforward but i've never wired a radio before, and i'm not sure which lead is ground, as it's not labeled.

5. Antenna recommendations? Where should I put it?

6. Reccomended amplifiers? (the car has 4 existing, unwired speakers in the car, one in each door panel and two oval ones behind the rear seats, so 5 total including the one in the existing speaker grill.

I've attached some photos of the radio for reference. 

post-47685-0-29563500-1419113250_thumb.j

post-47685-0-49439700-1419113282_thumb.j

post-47685-0-68647100-1419113319_thumb.j

post-47685-0-18362100-1419113367_thumb.j

1. How much current do I run it with? 1A?

The lead should have an in-line fuse in it; if not, you should add one, then wire to a terminal on the ignition switch that is hot only when the ignition switch is on.  That's the way the factory shows to wire it.  Since those terminals aren't fused, you need an in-line fuse to protect both the radio and your car's wiring.

2. Does it drive 4ohm speakers?  

I believe so...just common everyday auto radio speakers...

3. Does anyone know what kind of oval speaker will fit on the mounting points? I measured the speaker size at 3.5x6in but I can't find drivers that size anywhere online.

IIRC what you need is a 4x6" speaker.  That's a fairly common size, and should be easy to find on-line. Presume the radio isn't stereo--the paper label would say so if it was, so you either use the single console-mounted speaker or add an additional one (or several more)

4. Are there any wiring diagrams or examples that I can use to wire this thing properly? It seems pretty straightforward but i've never wired a radio before, and i'm not sure which lead is ground, as it's not labeled.  Wiring is easy.  The main lead (hopefully with an in-line fuse) is wire per #1 above; The radio is designed to ground through the housing.  However, if the radio housing doesn't have a direct metal-to-metal connection to the car's body, you'll need to run a ground wire from the radio to the car body.   One of the studs that holds the heater in place makes a convenient ground.   As for speakers, see Esty's diagram.  You'll need to solder your speaker wires to the two-prong plug that's in your picture.  That plug is (I think) unique to Blaupunkt and Becker radios.   

5. Antenna recommendations? Where should I put it?  

See Esty's comments above

6. Reccomended amplifiers? (the car has 4 existing, unwired speakers in the car, one in each door panel and two oval ones behind the rear seats, so 5 total including the one in the existing speaker grill.

If the radio's mono, all those speakers aren't gonna help you much; you're still gonna have monoaural sound.  I think I'd use a single front and rear speaker unless you fit an amp, and you'd have to find a mono amp...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The radio shown above is a mono radio.

The picture in the second post indicating a double "R or L speaker" should read as "Positive and Negative" for a single speaker.

The first picture in the original post shows a single speaker connector with the respective Positive and Negative posts.

The speaker cable can be spliced for connection to more speakers, but as Mike mentioned the sound will still be monaural.

1968 BMW 1600

Your radio appears to be a 1971 model, perhaps a 7631 627. Whether it is or is not, it is a Frankfurt US monaural (non-stereo) radio. I suspect the '71 model was made for a couple, maybe three, years. If your paper label survives, I'd expect a serial number beginning with a C ('71), a D ('72), or possibly an E ('73). If you wish to read more about it, I'd suggest postings #1, #26, and #88 in the following thread:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/144707-dating-2002-era-blaupunkt-radios/?hl=%20blaupunkt%20%20dating

The little speaker for that grill is available from Walloth & Nesch. It will not set the world on fire! The radio will drive 3 or 4 speakers (I don't know the correct ohmage but the Walloth & Nesch unit, as shown below, appears to be 8 ohms), but not speakers that require any substantial wattage.

This was perhaps the most common radio to be installed in 2002s of this era.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-22775600-1419146111_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It's an old Blaupunkt.  Before you go to a lot of trouble, I would wire it up just enough to make sure it still works.  Good luck.

And if it's not working:

The Radioman, San Diego

Regards,

Steve

You might do better to use that radio with one speaker in the console to recreate driving in the early 70s. If you want real music that can be heard, get a newer stereo unit with input for ipod, etc. and hook it to the other speakers. It can hide in the console, or glove box.

I have three Blaupunkt Frankfurt stereo radio's in my parts bin (two made in Germany, one made in Japan). I guess I'll need to bring them to the Vintage next May and see if there is any interest in them. I was told they work but I haven't personally tested them to see if they work.

G-Man

post-32299-0-38122800-1419298828_thumb.j

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I have three Blaupunkt Frankfurt stereo radio's in my parts bin (two made in Germany, one made in Japan). I guess I'll need to bring them to the Vintage next May and see if there is any interest in them. I was told they work but I haven't personally tested them to see if they work.

G-Man

G-Man,

The market for the Japanese-built Blaupunkts is very thin, but there is strong demand for the German-built units. And the early (pre-'74-ish) stereo units, much rarer in their era than the monaural units, are especially sought after. I'm traveling and don't have access to all my resources, but I'd guess the unit you've shown is a ca. 1969 model (perhaps a model 7639696), based on the reversed FM scale) in very nice condition.

And Radioman, in San Diego, can generally revive even dead units. But since a service is generally $150-$250, I'd recommend you sell the units as is and let the buyer have them serviced. It seems like the majority of units on eBay are sold "as is" with no guarantee whatsoever of functioning currently. But as I said, most can be revived.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I am new to the FAQ having just purchased a '74 Chamonix. The car came with a Blaupunkt Radio and speaker grill, and I have a few questions about it.

1. How much current do I run it with? 1A?...

My ca. 1969 Frankfurt Stereo US brochure (model 7639696, perhaps?) shows a 2-Amp fused lead.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-23309500-1420672363_thumb.j

post-41123-0-41524700-1420672377_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

I believe that you can still get a replacement speaker that fits perfectly from BMW. 

The BMW part number is 65-12-1-375-109.  They look like this (brown one is the original Blaupunkt, new one from BMW is made by Grundig):

OldVsNew.jpg

If you can't get it from BMW, Walloth & Nesch sells a kit that contains the speaker along with a replica of the plastic panel.  The BMW (Grundig) speaker fits in an original Blaupunkt plastic panel too. 

SpeakerPartNumber65-12-1-375-109.jpg

RockAndRoll.jpg

Cheers,

John

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️