Max engine weight supported by front subframe?

readfrost

Hey all, anyone know how much weight from an engine the front suspension/subframe should be able to hold before it becomes ridiculous/unsafe/undriveable? And what would/should one do to increase that maximum? I'm asking because I am toying with the idea of a few engine swaps, and some are quite heavy. 

Any info you have regarding this is appreciated, thanks

The subframe will take a lot. Its more about the mounts you fab for the intended motor. And how much weight you really want to hang on the front end. Lots can be controlled by stiffer springs etc. Ive driven m20 cars and I guess im not a good enough driver to really notice a HUGE difference over the m10. yeah theres a bit but its still a fun car with a small 6. Unless you have the skills to set a large motor back Id consider something simple like an M42 turbo or any 4cyl turbo.. best of both worlds if tuned well

I was going to say "unless if you are swapping in a big cummins, you shouldn't have much cause for concern"

...What engine? if it's a big diesel, then honestly you're just not doing the car any favors. even a little modern tdi can make more power and mpg then you could ever ask for. 

May I suggest a M or S62 M5 V8 engine and gear box from 2002 M5?  Only 100 pounds more, 400HP and cheaper that the S14 given current demands.  2002Haus has custom rear sub frames for turbo 6 versions.  Get Tii coil overs with 5 lug conversion, boxed trailing arms and Z3 5 lugs. Roll cage, weld in the front arms to inner skin, reinforcement plate welded on the front sub assembly, relocate the battery to the back and put the ECU in the glove box. Most likely have to cut the tunnel to make the 6 speed fit, and aftermarket pedal set up, but there are custom engine mounts on ebay for such conversions on old E30s. 

Just an idea I have been toying around lately.

erm...... Captain.... A chunk of what you mention would not needed (5-lug, tii struts, etc.).  I'd HIGHLY recommend checking the engine weights yourself though, rather than by using internet "engine weight lists".  Good luck with your idea though, would be fun.

Read,  what do you want out of the car?  Something you can take to shows/a cruise,  something you can rip curvy roads with, or a track day toy?

I was just curious to know how the car would react to a diesel motor and their torque. Plus, the mileage and sound would be a nice bonus

There's at least one forum member working on a (VW?) diesel install. I can't offhand recall the exact name, but it might be something like "coutsdesign." Did you search the forum on "diesel" and similar? You'll, in all likelihood, be swapping out the entire drivetrain: the factory trans and diff were geared for 3,500 to 6,400 RPMs.

I put 100,000 miles on the 3.0-liter diesel in my 2010 X5 within 3 years, and loved that combination. But I'm still not feeling good vibes about a diesel in a 2002: much of a 2002 to me is about revs and the engine noise above 3,500 RPMs. Nonetheless, I wish you good luck!

Regards,

Steve

Archived